• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slower file transfers within Windows 8 vs 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/windows_8_Review?page=0,2

QUOTE:
While you might notice slightly slower file transfers within Windows 8 versus Windows 7, were you to compare the two directly, it’s because Windows 8 now builds malware scanning directly into the process (helped by the integration of Windows Defender, formerly Security Essentials, into the operating system).

Has anyone tested this transfer speed reduction or found any other reviews that say the same..Im just wondering if it's true.

Oh , goody! Not only does it have an annoying UI for a desktop it's actually slower at some things! Makes me glad I went back to 7.
My only test was "seat of the pants" moving various things from HDD to HDD after installing the RTM , but I used third party software to transfer stuff. I have the 32 bit version on a laptop , so I'll download ATTO or Crystal Disk and check it out.

win8_vs_win7_2-2.jpg

Pic shows better results in Crystal Disk Mark under win 8.

Sure, but, how did it test that? Im guessing not like what is asked here. That is usually the R/W of a file as it says, compared to the transfer of files within itself.

Sure, but, how did it test that? Im guessing not like what is asked here. That is usually the R/W of a file as it says, compared to the transfer of files within itself.
There's a proper explanation of why file transfer is slower in Windows 8 so I don't really see where's the unanswered question.

There is? I am missing it. Sorry. Can you explain the point a little more as you see it?

As I am seeing it, the OP is asking for one thing, and that benchmark isnt showing what he asked for in that he is saying a transfer within windows, while this is simple reading a file and writing a file, not transferring within windows.

...it's because Windows 8 now builds malware scanning directly into the process (helped by the integration of Windows Defender, formerly Security Essentials, into the operating system).

Disable Windows Defender and problem solved?

If freeware Avira, or pay-for alternatives have better virus definitions than MS Essentials and we have them installed, then why would we want Windows Defender running?

So yes it make sense for whoever has nothing but if Defender is disabled then things should not be slower than on Win7, true or false?

There is? I am missing it. Sorry. Can you explain the point a little more as you see it?

As I am seeing it, the OP is asking for one thing, and that benchmark isnt showing what he asked for in that he is saying a transfer within windows, while this is simple reading a file and writing a file, not transferring within windows.
He kinda answered it himself.
Win 8's 'defender' slows the process.
Disable Windows Defender and problem solved?

If freeware Avira, or pay-for alternatives have better virus definitions than MS Essentials and we have them installed, then why would we want Windows Defender running?

So yes it make sense for whoever has nothing but if Defender is disabled then things should not be slower than on Win7, true or false?
Windows Defender's real-time scanning function should also be automatically disabled when you turn it off, so yeah - I don't see why it would affect the file transfer rates in any way.

I'm just wondering because i don't trust the review they don't say how much windows 8 slows in file transferring. Also windows 7 has Defender and it does not inspect file transfer .However they say in the article windows 8 does inspect file transfer. I just don't believe it would slow down file transfer,.They don't say how they did the test with windows 7 vs windows 8, Just looking for more proof either way.

I'm just wondering because i don't trust the review they don't say how much windows 8 slows in file transferring. Also windows 7 has Defender and it does not inspect file transfer .However they say in the article windows 8 does inspect file transfer. I just don't believe it would slow down file transfer,.They don't say how they did the test with windows 7 vs windows 8, Just looking for more proof either way.
Not really, 'cause Windows 8's defender is now combined with an AV function.
No idea if the update came out for Windows 7 too, if it did than I don't see why there would be any difference.
If win 7 was running the older defender(?-does anyone know if win 7's defender was also updated-?) and Win 8 had the security essentials combined bullcrap one (which it did) its understandable why it won't keep up.

Last edited:
Not really, 'cause Windows 8's defender is now combined with an AV function.
No idea if the update came out for Windows 7 too, if it did than I don't see why there would be any difference.
If win 7 was running the older defender(?-does anyone know if win 7's defender was also updated-?) and Win 8 had the security essentials combined bullcrap one (which it did) its understandable why it won't keep up.
Windows 7 defender has not been updated to inspect transfer files.

I have micro soft security essentialsand i don't notices a difference in transfer speed with it on or off, i have not bench tested it yet. i will see.

Windows 7 defender.

Attachments

• windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,344
Back