• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small bitfenix phenom mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlargCraft

Registered
I wanted to get your opinions on a little mod I did on my phenom. I took out the back panel and the mobo tray and rotated them 180º so that an h100i would fit better.
There's actually several goals I wanted to achieve.
1: have cold air intake from the bottom and push up and out. Original phenom draws air from the top and pushes hot air down and out which is not ideal.
2: accomodate the h100i well. The original layout made this difficult because of the video card being right under it and the psu making the tubes bend more than I'd like.
3: not cook my video card. Like I said above the h100i is originally over the gpu intake fans. Since airflow in the phenom is top-down the video card draws in a bunch of hot air from the radiator, on idle I was getting 65-75c which is ridiculous.
4: allow use of ALL pcie sockets even with an h100i installed. Normally it would cover 2.
5: be conservative. I wanted only stock phenom parts in this. No extra aluminum or metal or fancy tools required.

Sadly I'm not home right now but I couldn't wait to post my idea/mod. I have one picture after the rotation of the inside, more to come soon.

whigsn.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Its been a while but I'm almost done, just need the acrylic. Hopefully here its easier to see how rotated the back panel for a better overall layout :)

rcllif.jpg

Joined just to say this is a great idea! Am about to build a Phenom based PC and ordered a H100i. I didn't realise there were routing problems with the pipes until I saw this and another couple of reviews of the case.

Any chance of a step by step, or some more details in exactly whats involved in taking out the panels? Is it screws or rivets?
Cheers :)

No guide i know of. I havent seen anyone else online do it i just looked at it and thought "hey this could work." Back panel is attached to the mobo tray. Leave them together. All connections to the rest of the case are rivets but they were very easy to take out with a small drill (get a drill bit just a tad bigger than the hole in the rivet for best results). Afterwards I simply flipped them and added only a couple new holes to libe up with the mobo tray. I just can't understand why bitfenix didn't do this in the first place :/ makes things much easier.

Back