• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small Changes in temp from idle to load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jauron

I have a general question regarding temps idle to load. My idle temps have climbed a bit due to it getting hotter. I have a Mobile 2600+ that I have OC to 2.4 on 1.62 Volts. My Idle temps are around 40°-42°C and my load temps are ~45°-47°C.

I've notice on these boards people saying their idle times are low to mid 30's and the load temps jump to mid 40's. I only seem to get about 5° under load difference. Should I be concerned about my idle temps, or is my rig pretty well set? I'm just confused as to why my temp changes are so small but my idle temps seem to high compared to others here. What do the temp changes (small or large) mean overall about your system from idle to load?

I notice when I game the temps go up maybe 3°C on average.

Also I've noticed there isn't much of a change when it's hot outside if I back off my overclock down to say 2.2 @ 1.475 Volts, temps stay about the same. Is this normal?

My basics

2600+ Mobile (OC 2.4)
NF7-2
SLK900-A
92mm Tornado (~3800 RMP)
3 Smart Fan II (~3500 RPM)

Jauron said:
I have a general question regarding temps idle to load. My idle temps have climbed a bit due to it getting hotter. I have a Mobile 2600+ that I have OC to 2.4 on 1.62 Volts. My Idle temps are around 40°-42°C and my load temps are ~45°-47°C.

I've notice on these boards people saying their idle times are low to mid 30's and the load temps jump to mid 40's. I only seem to get about 5° under load difference. Should I be concerned about my idle temps, or is my rig pretty well set? I'm just confused as to why my temp changes are so small but my idle temps seem to high compared to others here. What do the temp changes (small or large) mean overall about your system from idle to load?

I notice when I game the temps go up maybe 3°C on average.

Also I've noticed there isn't much of a change when it's hot outside if I back off my overclock down to say 2.2 @ 1.475 Volts, temps stay about the same. Is this normal?

My basics

2600+ Mobile (OC 2.4)
NF7-2
SLK900-A
92mm Tornado (~3800 RMP)
3 Smart Fan II (~3500 RPM)

AMD processors have a small jump idle/load (like 4-5C.) Intel processors can jump 10-15C idle/load.

Heat produced is linear with both clock speed and voltage (or so I have heard.) So when you back off to 2.2 GHz and 1.475v, your wattage (heat generated) should drop about 25%. So backing off like that could well compensate for a 5C ambient rise.

The hotter your system runs, the bigger difference you will tend to see between idle and load.

the wesson

Back