• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Small Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noname2020x

Hello, fellow PC addicts!

I'm thinking about parting out my current build (how much do you think I could get?) and downsizing and upgrading.

The goal is a smaller build with some power. I'd like to be able to play all games at mid settings at 1440p.

I also NEED 16gb of ram. I am a tab monster.

Would heat and/or noise be an issue here?

Finally, I can just clone my drive so I don't have to buy windows again, right? Any disadvantages?

Thoughts?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3qnXVY

Another option would be simply upgrading my current build. Some of my USB slots are dying though and I'd like to take advantage of DDR4. I've also had my HDD and SSD for quite a while. I'd rather not wait for them to fail on me.

Parts.jpg

If you clone your drive but use a different motherboard than was used when Windows was activated you will lose the activation. The activation record is tied to the motherboard. What version of Windows will you be using? With Windows 7 it's pretty easy to reactivate with the automated 1-800 Microsoft number. With Windows 10 it might be more of a problem and you might need to talk live to a Microsoft rep. I've only done this once after a motherboard failure and they didn't give me any guff. You're situation is different though in that you are upgrading.

I would suggest going with GSkill RAM rather than Geil and I would suggest moving up to DDR4 3000 to offset the latency increase of DDR4 as compared to DDR3. DDR3 2133 RAM has lower latency than DDR4 2133 so you don't want to go backwards in RAM performance. I just realized your motherboard chipset doesn't support higher speed DDR4.

Cooling is always more of a challenge in a small form factor/cube case. The CPU you list is not overclockable and so you don't need a large cooler like the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. You might get better overall case ventilation and cooling if you go with a low profile cooler. The one that comes boxed with it should be perfectly fine as long as you give attention to case air flow.

What about PSU? Don't see one listed.

Last edited:
Awesome; thanks guys!

Now I'm tempted to switch to ITX and just snag these two deals, but from what little I've read if you're doing a small build you might as well do micro atx. This would also really help the possible cooling/noise issue.

Also, I am a huge audiophile,didn't think of this until now, but I assume the sound hardware and drivers are important from the mobo?

https://slickdeals.net/f/9547404-in...-newegg-com?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...ables-_-na-_-na&ItemList=Combo.3209828&cm_sp=

Last edited:
Honestly it should be more about cost; the overclocking community over the last 10 years has gone from what was essentially a hotrodder mindset to useless pretty **** show PCs. Who cares what it looks like. At some point you gotta roll with it being good enough.

The bottom line is this, can that system overclock? Yes
Is the *SOLE* reason to overclock about saving money over the plebs? Absolutely

Then who gives a **** if its ITX, it matters more the quality of the silicon than the environment these days unless you plan on subjecting it to 110F* weather all the time. So I say go for it!

Some of my best builds looked ugly as hell but they worked. Hell we used to troll junkyards for radiators for our water cooling builds. Now everyone has to have flashing LEDs, windows and pretty colors lol.

If sound matters to you use the money you save to either buy a good headset like an AudioTechnica or sound card.

Hahaha, yeah, I don't care about lights and nonsense. I don't spend my time looking at my PC, I spend my time looking at my screen.

I'll have to check my post-bills and post-savings budget and then figure out the plan.

Hahaha, yeah, I don't care about lights and nonsense. I don't spend my time looking at my PC, I spend my time looking at my screen.

I'll have to check my post-bills and post-savings budget and then figure out the plan.

Also don't be afraid to modify an OEM pre-built either if you have no plans to overclock. Most these days are being sold either at or below cost especially during the holidays.

I'm fine with OEM software, but where should I go to search for parts?

I need to do some more in depth checking, but it seems like I'm gonna have to stick to a lower budget. (assuming I can get away with my PSU which isn't the one in my sig)

So here is my updated build. (New case, updated memory that will be OC'd)
updated.jpg

With the shell shocker (thanks!) you posted it comes out to $755 (selling the free games ~$700)

Any idea what my current build might easily go for atm? (without the psu listed)

I'm fine with OEM software, but where should I go to search for parts?

I need to do some more in depth checking, but it seems like I'm gonna have to stick to a lower budget. (assuming I can get away with my PSU which isn't the one in my sig)

So here is my updated build.View attachment 186181

With the shell shocker (thanks!) you posted it comes out to $755.

What I mean by that are things like this:
https://slickdeals.net/f/9528816-de...79-free-s-h?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Keep in mind this is purely an example and I am not saying buy this but if you were to buy then and add an RX480 that would put your total cost below $700 as an example. So there are a couple ways you can go about building a cheap PC however you forfeit the ability to overclock everything but the GPU.

What I mean by that are things like this:
https://slickdeals.net/f/9528816-de...79-free-s-h?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

Keep in mind this is purely an example and I am not saying buy this but if you were to buy then and add an RX480 that would put your total cost below $700 as an example. So there are a couple ways you can go about building a cheap PC however you forfeit the ability to overclock everything but the GPU.

Ahhh, I see what you're saying.

That makesa lot of sense, but I REALLY enjoy the process of the build and the feeling of the project being "mine". Somehow that's important to me.

Do you see any potential problems or have any suggestions for changes concerning that most recent build? Always like to double check.
Any issues with having constantly OC'd ram? (only done ram OCingonce)

Do you see any potential problems or have any suggestions for changes concerning that most recent build? Always like to double check.
Any issues with having constantly OC'd ram? (only done ram OCingonce)

You can keep anything running at any clock as long as it is stable so there are no issues running ram at those speeds.

+1 the cooler that comes with the CPU will work just fine, that is what I use for stock setups.

Back