• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smell from Noctua NF-F12 fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Antisthenes

Registered
The stock radiator fans of my brand new H80i V2 started to make a kind of vibrating noise, so replaced them with two Noctua NF-12 3000 rpm fans yesterday. All fine then.

Today I started the mITX, and the fan on the outside of the radiator made this short crunching noise at boot. Rebooted again, same crunching noise. Unplugged it, and next reboot was fine. Set fan speed from full speed to silent mode, rebooted with both fans, and both were fine, including when speed are at max.

But I can smell some warm "plastic"/"chemical"/"ozone?" smell coming directly from the front panel where the radiator fans are. Can sometimes smell it a meter away, and it's slightly annoying, but not like something is burned, only heated.

Removed the dust filter of the CM Elite 110, but the smell is still there, perhaps reduced 20-20 percent. Pretty certain the fans didn't smell like this yesterday. Temps normal at stress test with Intel Extreme Utility.

Is this a sign of something serious, and is the smell dangerous?

If this system is all new parts that can happen. I have noticed it before once things get warm. Kinda like that new car smell.
As long as things are working OK I wouldn't worry too much.

Ok, good. The smell is not that strong. A bit stronger than the chemical smell of detergents if one sticks the nose right into clothes fresh out of the washing machine, and take a good sniff.

But what was the crunching noise of the radiator fan at boot? The fan worked fine yesterday, and have not touched the computer since, so why a short crunch noise this morning at first startup?

Smell: Is your rad new? Heating up the rad would do it.

Crunching sound: does it do it when it is cold? Start it that way, but with the rad part hanging out of your case where you can watch it. Record it while you start up.

Ok, good. The smell is not that strong. A bit stronger than the chemical smell of detergents if one sticks the nose right into clothes fresh out of the washing machine, and take a good sniff.

But what was the crunching noise of the radiator fan at boot? The fan worked fine yesterday, and have not touched the computer since, so why a short crunch noise this morning at first startup?

Make sure the fan blades are not striking something like nearby wires or cables.

Back