• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Smoothwall network help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crazyminded

Registered
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok here is aLINK to a pic of my setup that i want. Ok after seeing the setup i'm haveing problems getting into the firewall via web admin, So here is how i have it setup, my cable modem comes inro the red zone on firewall then coming out on my green side to my linksys router, the router is my dhsp server, now coming out of my router to my 4 port linksys switch. I'm using to realtek nic card one for red and one for green both are seen by firewall. Now the biggest problem i'm haveing is getting the PC's to get a ip from router that is usable. I have found that when i connect the cable from the green zone one firewall to the wan on router i get no act light and if i connect it to the uplink on switch, is this because i'm not using a crossover cable or a wrong setting somewhere? I'm kind new to the linux world and i'm sure i'm missing something here so any help would be great or a small run down on how i should set this up.

i don't get this--- why put the server in front of the router (firewall)

you could just connect

cable modem --> server eth0
server eth1 --> switch
switch --> clients

and you can just completely bypass the router

now if you're just keeping the router for DHCP, DON'T!
it takes like 10 minutes to set up dhcpd on linux

ok i will do that and see how it goes i was just useing the router because i had it :) and i like to make my life hard but seeing that it's going to make my life alot harder them i want right now i will just use firewall and see if i can get it setup

ok still can t get the client pc to pull and IP from the firewall. is there a way for me to check what ip the firewall is pulling?

current setup is modem=firewall=switch=pc's

is this because i'm not using a crossover cable or a wrong setting somewhere
Ok are you trying to use a crossover cable?Im not sure if it will work that way.Here is my setup
cablemodem---->red network(reg cable)---->green network(reg cable)---->d-link switch(reg cable)----->to my computers(reg cable)
No cross-over cables involed at all
Make sure ur smothie is setup for dhcp and smooth will work as just a firewall or firewall/router. I have mine as a firewall/router.
And make sure to get to the admin page you type
http://192.168.1.1:81 or 441 or what ever ip address you are useing.
Boy I am glad I told u that in the process I found I had updates to do for my smoothie.Be sure to always check the admin page for update details.

Thanks for the help, i finally got it up i found that one of the cables i was trying to use was a crossover cable, and 2 that the firewall had switched the nic cards around on me :( (that took awhile to find out) but all is good now and running stable /w all updates..

P.S. How its setup

modem->router->firewall->switch->client

may take router out as no real need but as being a hardware firewall

Back