• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sneaking up on you Subpar!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can get a good 900 W one for about $190 (Cyberpower)
Oh that's not as expensive as I thought!

Also, the GTX 780 "failed" again. As soon as it starts to fold a core 21 WU, it instantly fails even at stock clocks and voltage.
I deleted the "cores" folder to re-download fresh ones. Perhaps the power blip corrupted the core .exe?

chkdsk /f came back clean though hmmmm...

It's folding core 18 WU's okay it seems... Guess we will have to wait and see.

Oh that's not as expensive as I thought!

Also, the GTX 780 "failed" again. As soon as it starts to fold a core 21 WU, it instantly fails even at stock clocks and voltage.
I deleted the "cores" folder to re-download fresh ones. Perhaps the power blip corrupted the core .exe?

chkdsk /f came back clean though hmmmm...

It's folding core 18 WU's okay it seems... Guess we will have to wait and see.

Let me guess, Win XP? Xp will not fold core 21 on your GPU, my GTS 450's do the same thing if I try to fold with core 21, this is why I got a GTX 980 TI & 1080 SC and Win 7 & 10 to do GPU folding.

Let me guess, Win XP? Xp will not fold core 21 on your GPU, my GTS 450's do the same thing if I try to fold with core 21, this is why I got a GTX 980 TI & 1080 SC and Win 7 & 10 to do GPU folding.

Oh god no. The GTX 780 is in my daily driver, my gaming rig (The one in my signature). I run Win 7 x64.
That's what i don't get.... :shrug:

Core 21 is throwing my 1070 for loops. Temps are fine but the power and usage are bouncing. Some WUs run just fine but others knock my PPD way down.

Seems downloading the core .exe again fixed the issue. Seema to be folding fibe today. Looking at 590k PPD estimated!

I do find that the power usage bounces a lot too wjruth. Sometimes it'll even crash the drivers id the overclock gives out :-/

So I'm starting to liquidate some old gear that I don't need in anticipation of getting something shiney soon...I figure it's time lol you're starting to make some serious headway and my aging cards arent quite making the ppd they used to. I'm going to shoot for the 300 range which should get me a rx 480 or perhaps a 970 depends on if I go new or used. Thinking new so warranty isn't an issue.

So I'm starting to liquidate some old gear that I don't need in anticipation of getting something shiney soon...I figure it's time lol you're starting to make some serious headway and my aging cards arent quite making the ppd they used to. I'm going to shoot for the 300 range which should get me a rx 480 or perhaps a 970 depends on if I go new or used. Thinking new so warranty isn't an issue.

All talk no action? :chair:

That's cool with me. I'll keep chugging along!! :D

Pretty much lol I've run into a small roadblock. The wife says we need a new driveway. As it happens I do landscape construction so I can do all the prep work for the driveway but the finishing and the concrete itself ain't going to be cheap. So I may have to let you breeze on by while I try and get some extra money to put into a new card. Crappie thing is I can get a 480 for $309 plus tax from a local shop and that's a damn good price. Argh house ownership lol.

Sooooo I went and did a funny thing. Turns out I still get some money for my b-day (thanks mom!) And I decided I needed something to hold you off. Maybe:) I haven't found any folding numbers for my new card but I'll post some results in the forums so there's something out there. Now to just try and wait for the 2 WUs to finish before I do some swapping. Will post a pic once I get some better ones. It's a ASUS rx 470 Strix:D I'm so happy lol

so i moved my cards around and have the r9 270 in the wifes rig, and the 7970 and the rx470 in my main rig. retiring the 650 ti boost until the kid(s) want a desktop :thup:
only problem so far is the 7970 doesnt seem to like the crimson drivers much...
new470.JPG
im going to wait a liitle bit before i start tearing stuff down again, cause sometimes it takes time for F@H to reflect true tpf etc but im a little worried

Aww crap. Well im testing some overclocks on the GTX 780 right now. Seems to be holding in heaven bench but im not sure if it's throttling.

Either way i dont have any new cards coming my way right so i suppose you can make some more headway.... For now :D

Nice job on holding your ground subpar!!!!

awesome subpar!!!!!!!!
and if you don't like home ownership, go ahead and move into an apartment, I dare you!!!!!

Guess it's time to start overclocking those 280x's I have... That's tomorrow's project. I'll install heaven bench tonight.

Not sure how to test the 2nd GPU though since this is a headless unit... I guess I'll find a stable OC on the primary 280x and hope it works on the 2nd 280x. :shrug:

awesome subpar!!!!!!!!
and if you don't like home ownership, go ahead and move into an apartment, I dare you!!!!!
ROFL i cant imagine living in a box and sharing walls again :screwy: i LOVE home ownership :thup: good to hear from you my friend :salute: 7970 is still folding strong with the original cooler :shock:

i think after everything shakes out silver we'll be pretty damn close in point production and if you clock your cards up it'll get interesting :D

ROFL i cant imagine living in a box and sharing walls again :screwy: i LOVE home ownership :thup: good to hear from you my friend :salute: 7970 is still folding strong with the original cooler :shock:

i think after everything shakes out silver we'll be pretty damn close in point production and if you clock your cards up it'll get interesting :D
Maybe I'll "borrow" my brother's 270x and give him that 7850. They are basically the same right? But that 270x puts out 100K :D

Looking at about ~10K PPD boost from overclocking the 780. I was able to get it folding at 1201Mhz core and 1625Mhz mem. Bounces back and forth between 1162Mhz and 12.1Mhz core depending on WU.

I never did tweak the 280x's yet. I was busy painting stuff on my car today :)

Back