• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So are the Newcastle or the Clawhammers better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MHz will always be useful for stuff like encoding etc (ironically extra cache will have lesser impact at higher frequencies within the same platform). As for the cache making a difference its probably psychological rather than actual if we are talking "smoothness" etc.
I have seen claims of a 3000+ Newcastle overclocked on stock air to over 2.6Ghz if genuine it shows the potential that exists to exceed the " extra 150MHZ barrier".
As for there being no reason to buy a Newcastle - well in general terms there are strong price sensitivity reasons (e.g. buying the lower priced 2800+ and 3000+ which dont exist in true clawhammer desktop format - but available only as mobile).

Last edited:
That's why you buy a 62W Mobile A64 3000+ ClawHammer and oc to 300x8 or 300x8.5 with the new nForce3 250GB boards in order to get 2.4-2.55GHz pretty easily (provided you get a CG core, which is very likely). If I were to buy a Newcastle, it would be a Socket 939 chip w/ dual-channel (too bad they are so damn expensive).

The 512KB extra L2 cache is useful in games...and that's what I mainly do :)

Silent Buddha said:
That's why you buy a 62W Mobile A64 3000+ ClawHammer and oc to 300x8 or 300x8.5 with the new nForce3 250GB boards in order to get 2.4-2.55GHz pretty easily (provided you get a CG core, which is very likely). If I were to buy a Newcastle, it would be a Socket 939 chip w/ dual-channel (too bad they are so damn expensive).

The 512KB extra L2 cache is useful in games...and that's what I mainly do :)

Agree, either I think like you or you think like me or .... :)

That is what I estimated a 250 GB motherboard and a 3000+ ClawHammer CG would do before that actual test results came out.

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=2748988&postcount=2

Performance analysis of various A64 systems

Since my paper overclocking of them is done/estimated pretty satisfactorily, I may not have to get real hardware to try/test them :), and a 939 system when price comes down may be the next challenge, ....

I still havent seen any reviews on both the nc and ch 3200+ a64. I know you guys might be going from your experience with the barton and tbred but a 2% overall increase vs the a64 3000 that has the same clockspeed doesnt look too appealing against the nc a64 3200+ version with a 10% clock increase. Plus with the higher multiplier and a guarantee that its a cg version. Has anyone seen reviews on the nc 3200+

racpuc, you can guarantee you get a CG Clawhammer if you get one with an OPN code that ends with "AR"

MHz is becoming completely useless. Can anyone honestly notice a difference between 2GHz and 2.5GHz, because I sure can't. I only overclock my proc for recreation;

i hope that is a joke.your killing me here
i can really really feel the difference in mine from 1.8 to 2.35
and my wife's 1.8 the bios battery goes dead and it starts booting as a 1.5 omg its so slow i cant stand it.

I only use my rig for games. I dont really even need to upgrade, but I have $ and it is bothering me to see a 2.2 beat my 2.7 in 3DMark03. I can score arounf 11600 and they are doing over 12k..grrrr. Yeah, dumb reason to want to upgrade, but what an addictive hobby. :)

The Coolest said:
racpuc, you can guarantee you get a CG Clawhammer if you get one with an OPN code that ends with "AR"

I'm talking about buying one from newegg and trying to get the CG stepping. You'll probably get a cg but it wont be guranteee.

Last edited:
Back