• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So i have a disorder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so im pre-gaming for new mobo.

Downloaded manual. Now on site it says dual channel but in manual it says supports quad channel (1 dimm per slot). Which one would i go with?

Rusty

oh and i would assume quad channel is better? just sounds like that makes sense

In my quick research of the topic, "quad channel" memory architecture is found mainly on server level motherboards that have multiple CPU sockets though there was the suggestion in some posts that the technology was on the way for mainstream boards. At any rate, the CPU's IMC (integrated memory controller) would also have to support the technology in question or it would not be utilized. I certainly would not base your purchase on whether or not a board has quad channel memory capability. And having said all that, unless the CPU is so hungry for data that the memory bandwidth is saturated in dual channel mode, quad channel will not improve performance. Not likely to happen.

No not at all i already bought the board a few days ago and found out about VRM problem and so on. So i should still go 2x8GB and not 4x4GB

No idea if it fits or not. Most get the individual sinks that normally go on the ram of a video card or similar. Then have a fan flow over the sinks on the mosfets.
RGone...

i have the 120mm fan on top of case blowing in. figured that would help mind u it comes with a heatsink on it. Just gettting ready for precautions

Did a little bit today. Waiting on more parts to come in to hit it hard.

Before

original.jpg

Now
(That black thing in the empty spot is my son's computer) yea he is a spoiled 3 year old

current.jpg

Thats my oc'ed mobo right now MSI and those dont even get hot to touch.

Havent got new mobo yet

And i have two top mount 120mm shooting down covering cpu and memory and mosfets

Rusty

Got my new mobo in today. yay!! Noticed under the mosfets heatsink someone put a thermal pad and its hanging out. Can i take that off and put thermal paste on mosfets? if i can i will feeel safer knowing i did it than someone else.

Rusty

it most likely requires pads not paste due to thickness tolerances. If your worried about it remove the sink and see whats up. In most cases those pads are reusable. It may just be a bad fitting on it with excess overhang.

it most likely requires pads not paste due to thickness tolerances. If your worried about it remove the sink and see whats up. In most cases those pads are reusable. It may just be a bad fitting on it with excess overhang.

However if there is a part of the PCIe socket broken, I would not waste time with the VRM cooler but RMA the board for one that is not defective when it arrives for me to use after paying full monies for unbroken parts.
RGone...

Back