• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I started at hwbot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

After Johan45 nudged me in the direction of helping out in the team cup with gpupi, I finally got my 1st hwbot submission in, and now I'm on a roll. While I wait for a new SSD to arrive, I've been doing the various 3DMark benches which I understand are ok with Win10 and 3DMark unrecognised drivers.

Two noob questions:
1, is hwbot site usually slow? It seems to vary a bit, from bad to awful.
2, how often do they update points/rankings? I'm kinda eager to see where I end up on some of them... :D

I got a apparently stable non-aggressive CPU+GPU OC going so I'm running through the list of 3DMark stuff, and hope the entry requirement to join the team formally here isn't going to be far off. The other stuff I really want to wait for the SSD first.

The slow site certainly doesn't help submission, sometimes timing out. Nor do the sometimes contradictory rules they put in! But I've now entered over 10 submissions so on next update let's see how many points I have. Only the original gpupi seems to have updated and I have a whopping 9.2 points, so shouldn't be hard to get the team entry level with the over 9+ submissions. If I never see 3DMark/VRMark again I wouldn't complain...

My new SSD seem to be delayed, so (insert generic nothing ever gets delivered on time rant here). Instead I've prepared an old 1TB 7200rpm HD already with OS on it, which I'm about to swap in and see if that works. Doing a bit of a risky OS transplant to save time, good enough for testing... then I can do more benches if successful!

The HWBOT site has been super slow lately. That's ironic since it's a website for overclockers used to doing things fast.

There is a fairly long delay until things get updated, I think it must be daily. One must be patient when dealing with HWBOT.

If you almost have 10 points already, that's awesome. I'm sort of glad I was grandfathered in before that requirement. I guess I'm sort of a benchmarking team emeritus. I think we did have to do something like 20 submissions with at least one from each hardware category or something like that. I do remember only getting .1 or .2 points at a time for a while.

Last edited:
The site feels faster for now, but I'm getting pretty benched out!

So in the last 24 hours I've submitted:
Cinebench 11.5
Cinebench R15
VRMark Blue Room
VRMark Orange Room
3DMark Ice Storm
3DMark Ice Storm Extreme
3DMark Cloud Gate
3DMark Sky Diver
3DMark Fire Strike
3DMark Fire Strike Extreme
3DMark Fire Strike Ultra
3DMark Time Spy
GPUPI 1B
GPUPI CPU 1B

All on the Ryzen 1700 + Vega 56 system.

Not sure I understand the point system yet, with the bulk in global points, with a smaller quantity in hardware points. I'll look forward to the next update cycle where I see what the above scores.

Its always been slow... but i figured it was just for the people in NA... since the site is out of europe. Guess not since you are way closer.

They need to overclock their internet.

Really? I usually get more hardware cups and points than global. Hold on, let me look at your points. Ok, just as I figured, you got the bulk of the global points in one bench, GPUPI for CPU - 1B (I think). The site has basically stopped again. Find out which bench got you the most global points and go back and hit it hard. Most of the time you can move up another rank or two which will net you bigger points and a higher global rank. I benched for years and never got those kind of global points... until this last month. Maybe I can give you a few suggestions to try in order to improve your score. Lots of guys way better than me (except in PCmark10--don't want to boast... well maybe a little... but, WR).

There's a guy that has probably forgotten more than I ever knew about benching, Earthdoggy. Bug him and he'll give you some excellent hints and tweaks.

Ok, the site is moving again, slow, but it's moving. Mack, you're in the top 20 for the benchmark "GPUPI for CPU - 1B" with a Rezyn 7 1700 CPU. You're also high enough to be getting decent global points too... bonus! Look at the chart I posted. All you need to do is better your score by a few seconds and you could advance a lot. This is exciting. Good luck. Grab that bull by the horns and wrestle it.

Ryzen 7 1700 top 20 GPUPI for CPU.jpg

The GPUPI for CPU result was over a couple of days and to push much more is going to get exponentially harder. I don't think I can get more clock without better cooling (or moving the PC outdoors to drop ambient). It was suggested different versions of OpenCL makes a difference, but that would be a challenge to do. Is it affected by ram performance much? I've got the low hanging fruit, but it'll be playing with the dark arts for me to get the ram speed higher, or alternatively tighten timings.

RAM can definitely make a difference in these CPU benches. I have never ran this benchmark, so I'll download it and run it. I can tell you right now, 95% of the tweaks for SuperPi will work for this bench too. Trust, you can shave a couple more seconds off. Search here on the forum for superpi tweaks and look on the web for how to optimize windows 10 for performance. When you get all that done, I'll show you how to change the priority in the task manager to gain a few last tenths of a second.

I'm glad the bench bug got you Mackerel. You'll learn more about your HW and what makes it tick in a hurry this way. Obsessing over just one point to get that top spot and no matter what you do it just isn't going to go any faster, just makes you try everything. The rabbit hole never ends :muahaha:
Yes HWBot is always slow but worse over the last few days because many competitions were ending at the same time so a lot of subs.
GPUpi ram makes little difference the key is CPU speed and the right OpenCL version for the HW latter being the biggest key.

Ok, so what is the right OpenGL version or does it "depends" so you have to try them all trial and error? Where do you get OpenGL drivers?

See, Mackerel, lots of people to help here on the team, don't be shy about asking. By the way, no wonder you got global point, I can't even come close to matching your 1B score. But, I did make 4th place for my processor (i7 7740X).

@ OP

If you have a Extra HDD I suggest making it a BENCH os hdd . Using your every day install is not a good idea lots of extra crap running that doesnt need to be as well as the constant crashing plays massive havoc on a os . (especially win10)

Most benchmarks have a OS that gives the best points ( check the little black book) so most ppl instal the best os for the bench they will be working with . Apply all the tweaks for that os , remove services and such from start up and then bench the crap out of that =)

So much stuff... let's start on the bench drive, already done it. I have a spare 7200 rpm 1TB laptop drive so have cloned Win7-64 onto that and got it running. Realistically, at this point getting every OS combination is not something I'm even thinking of. Win10 and Win7 between them will have to cover it. I did order a SSD which was supposed to arrive today, but didn't, hence using the laptop drive for now. I can clone it onto that when it arrives.

On OpenCL, that's proving a challenge to me. I was going to do gpupi on my Skylake-X system also. The gpupi page suggested I download an Intel package to provide OpenCL. It installed, but gpupi gave an error whenever I tried to run OpenCL with it. There was suggestion an old AMD APP SDK might work too, but I couldn't find a download I'd trust. AMD seem to have buried it. The remaining option was to install AMD GPU drivers, but the Skylake-X system had nvidia, so that's no go. Back on the Ryzen system, now with Win7 clone, I thought I'd tidy it up. The source of the image was an existing Intel/nvidia system. I installed the AMD stuff no problem, and uninstalled the nvidia and Intel stuff. When I went to run gpupi on that system, it reported no OpenCL available. Weird... I'm sure it is included with the AMD GPU drivers. I then started looking at possible compatibility exceptions or whatever, but in short, it was none of those things. To clean the nvidia drivers, I used DDU after I had installed the AMD drivers. What I think happened is that both had OpenCL files in the OS, and the nvidia cleanup also ended up removing it from the AMD driver package. A re-install of the AMD drivers after that resolved it. I've not looked into it yet, but could that be a potential route to change OpenGL software?

On my gpupi cpu result, I just did my best. It does seem to like having a lot of cores/threads, and turning up the clock. It took some time to run through the batch and reduction sizes to find the "best" ones. I haven't yet tried it on Win7 to see if that makes a difference, although as the OpenCL is provided through the GPU driver I don't think that part in itself will be different.

That reminds me, I'll have to look up a bench optimisation for the OS. What stuff can I disable? So far I've disabled MS' built in AV protection and disk indexing, but I'm sure there's more to go.

My short term goal is simply to get enough points to formally join the benching team. I don't have a specific long term goal, but certainly I can have extra records of tinkering beyond random forum posts that eventually get lost.

On the bot, are there points for being amongst the top of a particular piece of hardware? I'm thinking, for TimeSpy I did get the best time I could for Broadwell integrated graphics, and when I looked at the time it would have been pretty high up there. This is in part because of rarity, both in that not many of those CPUs were ever sold, and also because integrated graphics aren't exactly a hot thing to test. To repeat that bench is less than trivial though, as I had to put extra cooling on the CPU to help tame its temperature, and swap in some DDR3 2400 ram I have in another system. Actually, I can't find any results on there for this combo - did they wipe old results at some point? Actually, this is a bigger effort by the second, the day to day OS in that system is Win7 so I can't even run TimeSpy on it without doing a test Win10 install... could do Firestrike as substitute I suppose...

Yes, lots of stuff to know and do when you get down to the fine nitty gritty. But, don't freak or get worried. This is supposed to be a challenge and let me tell you it can be too, but it's supposed to be... I almost said fun, I think it's fun, but let's say, rewarding. Not in the sense of money, but rewarding that you mod and tweak your machine and baby talk to it and torture and abuse it and curse at it and coax it to do great things. Don't worry about doing too much at first, just work at your own pace and enjoy.

OpenGL, guess I need to figure that out too. Let me know if you find something that works well.

OS optimization is almost endless. Just don't get overwhelmed.

I think you're asking about hardware points, yes there's a lot of hardware points to be had. I don't think they delete old subs, Some guys specialize in old hardware. I have a box of P-II CPUs that someday I might bench (yes I still have an old computer that would run them).

Back in the day, I had a sweet Celeron 566 that I ran at 850 MHz 24/7. I wired up VID pins for more voltage and submitted a screenshot of 1054.7 MHz. I just looked on HWBOT and I'm still in 17th place for Celeron 566 CPU frequency. Here is the screenshot.

42361.jpg

EDIT: Scotty is a man of few words, but when he gives you a hint, take it serious, this guy knows his guano.

First to join the team I dont think you need any bot points just a specific number of benches submitted ( I think its 10 but not sure been a member way to long) .

For os tweaks there are many some help specific bench's others don't . Once you are a member there is a bunch of info in a sticky (in the members section) on what helps with some of the bench's .
As well as links to striped down OS's .

another place you can check is http://www.blackviper.com/ .

Using these tweaks has let me gain points when I was on the edge of having a good enough score but not quite there .

For the bench drive I suggest a SSD just for the faster boot times . For when somtimes Im so close to crashing I wouldnt want the extra time from a spinner drive (super pi 1m comes to mind) .
I would also put a program in your taskbar that will take and save a SS as hitting print screen then opening paint then pasting then saving takes time that you might not have before a crash .

as for then bench you have been working on I have no help for you as I have never even run it .

GL

Back