• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I started at hwbot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm in a tricky situation at the moment, with multiple systems, I can't get a bench SSD for each of them, nor do I want to mess about too much with their regular OS. The Win7 install for Ryzen 1700 I've already disabled some unneeded services. I'm aware of the priority and affinity settings through task manager although not used it for benching yet. I normally use affinity to help Windows not lose performance on other compute tasks, or just turn off HT which does about the same.

For SuperPI, I looked up the wasa tweak I think it was called, since I wondered what it was as it was listed as allowed under the rules. That's some next level optimisation there... for now my vague plan is to try and optimise hardware without software tweaks, and only revisit that at the end when going for the final submission.

On SuperPI, does it scale? e.g. if I make a smaller size faster, does it usually mean bigger sizes are likewise? I know there may be differences, but just looking in general. Waiting around 7 minutes for a run is a bit much. Alternatively, are looking at early steps "good enough" for an indication of overall performance?

Even a 60GB drive for $20 is fine and much better than a spinner. That is the point and what prevents you from 'messing about too much with ther regular OS'. :)

Even smaller SSDs are hard to come across at a decent price. Remember I did the unbranded 60GB roundup previously? They're not even that cheap anymore. I'm having a bit of a rethink on how to do this...

They are there if you look. I can easily find several around $30 (US). Buy used... something. they are out there and 'cheap'.

I mean, you have two choices... bench on your 24/7 and risk borking it... or pay the pittance for a couple of small SSDs to prevent that, much larger headache, from happening.

The difference between SPi 1M and 32M is ram settings. Your ram will play a bigger role in 32M. Properly optimized can make the difference of a couple hundred MHz.

Mack, perhaps I finally partially figured out the AMD OpenGL thing. There is basically nothing for Windows 10 64-bit except for the 2.0 drivers (OpenGL 2.0 AMD-APP) that are packaged with the Radeon drivers (Crimson Relive or whatever they call it). When I thought I got those other drivers to install, I think it was just the installer that installed, then it bombed off or I missed an error message (easy to do I'm clicking away while multi-tasking or maybe I was just spacing out).

I haven't tried Win10 for GPUpi very often but I'm sure my OpenCL1.2 package will install and work. Yep it does just ran it on my Ryzen HTPC Win10 OpenCl 1.2

openCl1.2.JPG

Good to know, but the question is, which are faster? The v2.0 or the v1.2?

Instead of saying nothing works except v2.0, I should have said nothing appears to work more recent than v2.0.

That depends on what you're benching. Most cases the 1.2 is faster than 2.0 and newer intel likes the Intel OpenCL

Back