• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I started at hwbot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Once I made it through a hard bench and I got a new personal best. Then, it crashed as I opened up a second CPU-Z preparing for the screenshot.

Here you go, see if you can top this Time Spy score (if or when you get Windows 10 going).

Time Spy zero points.jpg

Once I made it through a hard bench and I got a new personal best. Then, it crashed as I opened up a second CPU-Z preparing for the screenshot.

Here you go, see if you can top this Time Spy score (if or when you get Windows 10 going).

View attachment 193758

Looks familiar to that one time I pushed my video card over the limit on memory clock, 2000 to 2300, It did not like it at all, and produced results similar to yours there. No screenshot because it wasn't stable enough to run the screenshot process :p

This was definitely too much GPU core clock. I ran the bench and got a new personal best, but I'm still a long ways from the guy with the gold hardware cup that I want ( got the silver). So, I raised the cores 5 MHz and that's all it took to cross the line. I got a zero in one other bench, but I didn't take a screenie.

Big thanks for the AMD SDK link, so it does still exist. Searching didn't provide results when I tried at the time. I guess I'll have to give the Skylake-X system a go after all then, assuming I can just install and it works.

The screenshots of old hardware kinda makes me wish I still had some of my earlier systems too, even if in total their compute performance isn't anything to speak of today. Like my first dual, on Abit BP6.

On taking screenshots from a shortcut, any specific suggestions there?

I noticed the Cinebench submissions have gone through overnight so that now brings me to 19.8 global points, 2.4 hardware points. That looks like they update different benches at different times, as the original gpupi for cpu submission was around noon my time, where this was night my time. None of the 3DMark family have gone through yet.

If yo want to make points that last, best is to work on HW point. Global points vanish as soon as a new arch is out, while you HW points will stay there without moving (almost).

Bench popular old GPU's on top end current CPU's, and you'll make a lot of HW points ;)

Edit: points in hours for a dirst try? Well done! :clap:

Last edited:
GPUPI 1B
Best OS is Win 7 X 64
Fastest driver is OpenCL 1.2
Best settings for the benchmark is :
a) Batch size 20
b) Reduction time 512

The benchmark loves fast memory but not tight timings.
If, for instance you can run 4000 at 19-21..../ 2T, it is the best.

Thank Fasttrack, I'll have to try that at some point.

So far this morning I've been playing with CPU-z clock frequency and validation. I just yolo'd the Skylake-X for frequency after failing again to get OpenCL running on it. At 1.5v it was just stable enough to get a 5.2 GHz-ish submission in, but I hated that due to the bus clock of 99.x MHz the resulting clock was slightly lower than implied by multiplier. After thinking for 0.02s I decided to increase the bus slightly to 100.3 in bios, ending up with 5214 MHz. That'll do nicely. Also found the XOC option which helps a lot, as without it, it was crashing under the test load. The 7800X doesn't seem a popular model, presumably as those with deeper pockets go for more cores. Once it goes through I'll be 3rd for the CPU. Good enough without going sub ambient.

By observation, the validation site only keeps the best result for a system, so if you later get a better score, that means the link at hwbot will show a discrepancy. I know you'll have to submit a new result anyway, but does that mean you need to find/delete any old submission as the validation link wont be valid for that score any more? Or do the old ones not matter any more once you have a better one to replace it?

Anyone remember the old days when mobo manufacturers set their bus clocks to around 100.5 to 101.0 MHz to try and get that fractional foot up against competitors in a mobo group test? I note it seems to have gone the other way now, both the X370 and X299 systems run about 99.8 MHz stock.

Also when I submitted the personal result, it told me it was also eligible for the ROG OC Showdown Team Edition 2 so I linked the result to that. Thinking afterwards... should I have done that? I still don't get how the team stuff works. Is it possible to link an existing submission to a contest at a later time than the original personal submission? Or unlink a submission?

Mack, it you are going to be a great addition to the team. You have the fire and the drive to make things happen. You sure made a pile of points in a hurry. Nice!

Oh yes, I remember when the motherboards bumped up the "default" FSB a notch in order seem faster. Factory overclocking! I was disappointed when Abit (my fav at the time) followed suit.

I never did anything about an old sub when I got a valid one to replace it. Assuming the new sub is higher, then the old one no longer matters and vanishes.

Tir is correct about the global points. Hard to hold onto them for the long run. But, I suggested working on it mainly to help get the required 20 points quicker.

That last paragraph needs a captain to answer.

HWbot keeps your highest sub for a given HW, and the overall highest score you submitted to for a given benchmark (Global).
For global, CPU are ranked per number of cores. GPU per number of cards.

For competitions, in addition to hardware requirements and HWbot rules, you usually need to use the provided desktop background.

You can only link submissions made once the competition has started.

Also when I submitted the personal result, it told me it was also eligible for the ROG OC Showdown Team Edition 2 so I linked the result to that. Thinking afterwards... should I have done that? I still don't get how the team stuff works. Is it possible to link an existing submission to a contest at a later time than the original personal submission? Or unlink a submission?

That last paragraph needs a captain to answer.

I can help with that answer.
If a popup comes up saying you can enter a contest with the hardware you're subbing, you can absolutely enter. Just be advised to check the rules for the comp first because usually there is a special backround that needs to be used and if you don't have it your sub will be tossed for that comp.

For CPU-z clock they don't require a screenshot, although I see other submissions include the image generated by the validation page so I did likewise. No screenshot, no wallpaper.

Is there strategy to team comp submissions? Does the system just pick the best available, or is there some other planning involved?

I can help with that answer.
If a popup comes up saying you can enter a contest with the hardware you're subbing, you can absolutely enter. Just be advised to check the rules for the comp first because usually there is a special backround that needs to be used and if you don't have it your sub will be tossed for that comp.

I beat you on this one Captain! :p

Do I really want to put 1.6v+ through a Ryzen to see how far it'll go... I think I just hit the dark side...

Probably not without better cooling Mackerel. Don't want to damage it

I agree, no reason for premeditated chipocide. While I do enjoy torturing my components, I try not to kill 'em. You can't torture 'em anymore in the future if you leak the magic smoke out of 'em.

So, does the OCF officially fields a team for all the competitions on HWBOT or only some of them? I know the team cup just finished up and that was a biggie. Like for example, The ROG OC Showdown. Just using that as an example, there are only two of the stages I could do and realistically since I don't do supercooling, there is no way to compete in CPU frequency.

Last edited:
Most of the competitions are solo. There'll be a new challenger round starting in January February. With 6 or 7 divisions for different types of HW. Depending on your HWBot status you may be able to participate in a Novice or rookie competition but that deoends on which league you are currently in. If you're interested in benching follow the link in my sig for becoming a benchteam member aside from a fancy banner under your nick we have a pool of knowledge in the lounge that can help squeeze a lot of the benchmarks for a few more points.

I've gone up the ranks from rookie through novice to enthusiast before even a single submission. It seems they done based on member time.

Will put in the request to join the bench team shortly. The stuff from yesterday was enough to get the points, although the rest seems to be taking forever to go through, most of it over 24h now.

Batboy I tried checking out the team ROG competiton but HWBot is a crawl tonight and nothing seemed to be loading. Will have to get back to you on that

They have me listed as enthusiast on HWBOT from long time ago I think. I have no clue what that means.

Johan, you might have come along during my several year sabbatical. I was an active benching member here for years. I'm proud to have been a part of the team during the Forum Wars of 2007 (major event back then). The OCF team really pulled together that time and we kicked butt by winning the whole thing. I actually still have HWBOT points from those days. For example: I have a silver hardware cup for a P-4 D from 10-11 years ago. I'm retired and living the dream (except I've been diagnosed with Parkinson's). So, thought I'd relive my glory days for a bit. Not sure whether I want to go back to full active. It's kind of nice to be an "emeritus" member and nod off in the rocking chair while the young'uns stay up late tweaking their rigs.

Last edited:
Back