• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So UPS has my new case, right..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Midnight Dream said:
Yea, I have had a few issues with UPS damage claims before. I had purchased a laptop, and the guy who sent it had it fully inspected before it was sent off. When it gets here, there is some damage on the screen. Not enough to be unusable, but its a slight annoyance. So I call up UPS. Ok, they want proof of value, proof of costs for a repair/replacement, a copy of the shipping receipt, and various other things. Ok, I spend a week getting a copy of all that, then send it over. A week later they respond with:

"Mr. Musgrove,

I received your claim with the above tracking number but since the package
was shipped from All Wrapped Up they must file all claims with UPS."

Screw that, I just gave up on it.
As mentioned above, insurance is payable to the purchaser. Since your vendor used a middleman, that middleman was the purchaser. UPS won't pay just because you are a person with a broken laptop, you must have also bought insurance for it. If you had proceeded correctly by contacting the shipper and insisting they file the claim, UPS would have paid it. UPS does not shirk their responsiblities, it's as simple as that.

larva said:
As mentioned above, insurance is payable to the purchaser. Since your vendor used a middleman, that middleman was the purchaser. UPS won't pay just because you are a person with a broken laptop, you must have also bought insurance for it. If you had proceeded correctly by contacting the shipper and insisting they file the claim, UPS would have paid it. UPS does not shirk their responsiblities, it's as simple as that.

The costs included insurance for shipping as well. Up to $1000, as it was a $700 purchase. And I told them in the very beginning that I was the person that did the purchase. I was still told to go through all those steps till in the end they told me I couldnt file, that they would have to have the person that shipped it file.

Midnight Dream said:
The costs included insurance for shipping as well. Up to $1000, as it was a $700 purchase. And I told them in the very beginning that I was the person that did the purchase. I was still told to go through all those steps till in the end they told me I couldnt file, that they would have to have the person that shipped it file.
Yes, that's what I've said four or five times now. It doesn't matter who purchases what, aside from who purchased the insurance. See, when you want UPS to dole out a cool grand, it helps to have actually bought insured shipping service from them. You didn't. And since your seller paid one of those mark-up places to ship it for him, he didn't either. The mark-up place is the only one that purchased insurance on your item, so they are the only one whose claim is valid. UPS isn't in the business of simply handing out money to anybody with a story to tell.

larva said:
Yes, that's what I've said four or five times now. It doesn't matter who purchases what, aside from who purchased the insurance. See, when you want UPS to dole out a cool grand, it helps to have actually bought insured shipping service from them. You didn't. And since your seller paid one of those mark-up places to ship it for him, he didn't either. The mark-up place is the only one that purchased insurance on your item, so they are the only one whose claim is valid. UPS isn't in the business of simply handing out money to anybody with a story to tell.

Ok, I can go with that. But why would they still have me go through the entire process if in the end they were going to tell me that I couldnt file the claim? It seems more like being given the run-around.

I can't really speak for them, but I'm guessing to them it's so obvious that the insurance is only payable to the purchaser of the insurance that they may have assumed you would be aware of this.

Midnight Dream said:
Ok, I can go with that. But why would they still have me go through the entire process if in the end they were going to tell me that I couldnt file the claim? It seems more like being given the run-around.

To verify who you were. The shipper, receiver or the purchaser of the insurance. Now that they have who you are in writing, their butt is covered. It's all about going through the motions. Just get a hold of the person who bought the insurance and get them to file a claim. Good luck and let us know how it turned out!

maelstromracing said:
To verify who you were. The shipper, receiver or the purchaser of the insurance. Now that they have who you are in writing, their butt is covered. It's all about going through the motions. Just get a hold of the person who bought the insurance and get them to file a claim. Good luck and let us know how it turned out!

That was asked in the beginning who I was, and I openly stated I was the person who made the purchase, not the person who shipped the package, however my money did pay for all the costs. As for getting a claim filed, I just completely dropped it. Im not going to worry about it anymore, I can still do everything fine. Besides, if Apple keeps going like they are, im going to be getting a new laptop for free. Sent in for repair once, comes back with a new problem. Sent it back twice since then, and still have the problem. And they even wanted to tell me that there was nothing they could do about it. Uh huh. Sure.

Back