• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So, video card prices....what the

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Man, I want to build a new rig in the worst way, but I don't want to use any of my antique graphic cards. I don't game, but it just seems WRONG to build an nice new Rysen 9 rig, then put an oooold N8400GS in it. :eek:

What's really WRONG is the prices of video cards nowadays, and I get it...cryptocurrency mining, Covid lockdown, scalpers...:shrug:

When's this insanity going to let up?

When people stop overpaying for cards.

If you put some time in you can find cards at MSRP.

The way GPU mining and its insatiable demand is going (how many GPU's are going to huge mining farms/conglomerates?) will the state of videocard pricing now be the new normal for many years to come and maybe even inflate MSRP forever more?

The way GPU mining and its insatiable demand is going (how many GPU's are going to huge mining farms/conglomerates?) will the state of videocard pricing now be the new normal for many years to come and maybe even inflate MSRP forever more?
Nope (we hope not). A couple of things can happen IMO...

...bubble will burst leaving only the grinders left and no armchair miners

... hardware vendors will do a better job making mining cards for mining that don't do well at gaming and vice versa. So cards for gamers don't do well mining.

...sites prevent bots from buying better.

That said, this was a perfect storm with covid affecting supply chain too...

So, eventually, maybe next gen, it won't be near as bad. We all hope, lol.

I really would like to do some f@h now and then, of course I can no longer afford a 24/7 operation due to electricity costs. That, and have a decent card for video editing, should I try to tackle that again.

I just looked at what 1080Ti's (and one "1080 non-ti") like mine are going for over on ebay -- crazy doesn't even begin to describe it.

What games do you play?

I remember before going to the Geforce 1070, I was gaming on an R9 280x at 1080p. wasn't bad for doom, bf4, bf1, and a few others.

May be better to buy a used graphics card off ebay. I have been eyeing an R9 290x just because it looks fun to play with.

I wish I hadn't sold my gtx 970, and then procrastinated on buying its replacement. Seemingly overnight bam! the crypto mining began, sending prices way over my head.

Nope (we hope not). A couple of things can happen IMO...

...bubble will burst leaving only the grinders left and no armchair miners

... hardware vendors will do a better job making mining cards for mining that don't do well at gaming and vice versa. So cards for gamers don't do well mining.

...sites prevent bots from buying better.

That said, this was a perfect storm with covid affecting supply chain too...

So, eventually, maybe next gen, it won't be near as bad. We all hope, lol.

I hope you're right Earthdog, only time will tell and I get the feeling that time will be years in coming.

Back