• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Socket A Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay! I attached my spare 60mm fan to the back of the socket, and temps hit 40*C during prime95 :thup:

Quite a difference :)

EDIT: It turns out, that this mobo has the 4 holes for screw-type heatsinks!
Just noticed that today when I was making a case for it for more airflow.

Last edited:
Okay! I attached my spare 60mm fan to the back of the socket, and temps hit 40*C during prime95 :thup:

Quite a difference :)

EDIT: It turns out, that this mobo has the 4 holes for screw-type heatsinks!
Just noticed that today when I was making a case for it for more airflow.

did the fan blow toward the back of the motherboard or did it sucking air from the motherboard?

I'm tempted to do the same :D

any pic won't hurt too :chair:

did the fan blow toward the back of the motherboard or did it sucking air from the motherboard?

I'm tempted to do the same :D

any pic won't hurt too :chair:

Blowing on the motherboard.
I'll get you a pic or 2 tomorrow :)
Bed time soon lol :p

Okay, here we go.

I made a wood case for it with scrap lumber, so compared to my other wood case, this one is ugly, but it works :p

IMG427.jpg

IMG429.jpg

Anyway, I measured where the socket is approximately on the wooden base, then I placed the fan on the base, and drilled 4 holes for screws. Then I drilled a hole large enough for the fan, I think it was 1" 1/4 hole saw I used.

Then I screwed the fan to the outside of the case, so when it's plugged in it sucks cold air from the floor (and dust too I guess :-/ ) and blows it onto the motherboard.
There is a small ~1/4" gap to allow the air to escape from under the motherboard.

If you need a better pic, I can take the mobo off and you'll be able to see the holes I drilled.

For a regular metal case, I'd wager you'd have to get fancy with tie-straps to hold the fan in place.

thx a bunch for the pics,
it's super clear to get me whole the idea :thup:

I'm currently using the CM692 and it's already had a space to mount an 80mm fan around the backside of the CPU.
been tried to sucking air out of the motherboard before but it didn't turn out too well with the temps (dust went really awful back then :rain:).
been giving up already with it.

but since you got a pretty decent temps drop, I'm tempted to do it your way :D

now I'm having a C2D E6420 based system, OC'ed to 3.4 with 1.5v.
temps quite okay with the chip, but I can feel the cable management side inside my case were slightly warm to my liking.
this way, probably I can drop a few more degree on it,
and hopefuly around the vrm too...

thx again,
and have a nice day :cheers:

thx a bunch for the pics,
it's super clear to get me whole the idea :thup:

I'm currently using the CM692 and it's already had a space to mount an 80mm fan around the backside of the CPU.
been tried to sucking air out of the motherboard before but it didn't turn out too well with the temps (dust went really awful back then :rain:).
been giving up already with it.

but since you got a pretty decent temps drop, I'm tempted to do it your way :D

now I'm having a C2D E6420 based system, OC'ed to 3.4 with 1.5v.
temps quite okay with the chip, but I can feel the cable management side inside my case were slightly warm to my liking.
this way, probably I can drop a few more degree on it,
and hopefuly around the vrm too...

thx again,
and have a nice day :cheers:

Thanks!

Hopefully it'll drop you temps down :thup:

Maybe, if you have some, some screen mesh might keep the dust out if it's an issue.

I tried blowing air at the back of the socket on one of my motherboards. It didn't seem to make any diff in CPU temps.
In general does this idea (blowing air at the back of a motherboard) usually help w/CPU or VRM temps?

I tried blowing air at the back of the socket on one of my motherboards. It didn't seem to make any diff in CPU temps.
In general does this idea (blowing air at the back of a motherboard) usually help w/CPU or VRM temps?

Probably just CPU. You'd want to blow onto the VRM's themselves I'd say.
Also note worthy - I see a 10*C drops in temps. On Socket A boards, the only way to measure CPU temps is from a thermistor underneath the CPU itself.

I'm cooling the other side of where the thermistor is, so I can't actually say if CPU temps dropped themselves.
I did however, get out my dad's Infrared thermometer and pointed it as close to the CPU as I could get.

The reading was 38.7*C, so I will say that the fan does make a difference.

Just thought I should point that out.

That's right I remember the socket A sockets had a large hole in the center.

Since the LGA 2011 and LGA 775 don't have that large hole in the center of the socket
I'd imagine the socket itself is a thermal insulator that would make it even more difficult
for a fan pointed at the back of the motherboard to make any diff in CPU temp.

Since the VRM's aren't socketed, and run much hotter, I wonder if the fan pointed at the
back of the motherboard wouldn't help them out more than an LGA 775 or LGA 2011 socketed
motherboard?

That's right I remember the socket A sockets had a large hole in the center.

Since the LGA 2011 and LGA 775 don't have that large hole in the center of the socket
I'd imagine the socket itself is a thermal insulator that would make it even more difficult
for a fan pointed at the back of the motherboard to make any diff in CPU temp.

Since the VRM's aren't socketed, and run much hotter, I wonder if the fan pointed at the
back of the motherboard wouldn't help them out more than an LGA 775 or LGA 2011 socketed
motherboard?

Your best bet would be blowing on the VRM themselves, or maybe a fan on the side blowing onto them.

I don't have a LGA 775 or 2011, just the socket A and my LGA 1155, and for the VRMs on my LGA 1155, the fan I have blowing onto the HDD bay also blows a bit of air onto the VRM's that have a heatsink on them.

But, I'm not sure if one could mount a side fan like I have, my case is custom built out of wood so I can put a fan anywhere.....

Hey guys!

A few of you might have stumbled upon my first (butchered, what a mess to read now LOL) thread about my old AMD Duron Spitfire.

Mr.Scott warned me not to exceed 50*C on the socket...well, I watched it climb up to 62*C last time I OC'd it. :facepalm:

Anyway, after reading Ben333's thread on reviving his old Windows 98 rig, I got the itch to get my own retro rig going for some older games and some DOS. :cool:

Now, that CPU is kinda "iffy", I might have pooched it, but I want to give it one last OC, with proper cooling this time.

So? What is a good heatsink for Socket A's?
Are any quieter than the lousy clip-on stock heatsink it has now?

I can and probably will make a custom case for it, so the size of the new cooler won't matter.

I have no idea how much it'll cost, but hopefully not too much.
Any advice is appreciated :)

On pre-Palomino Athlons, the socket sensor was the only CPU temp sensor!
Thus, it was the "true processor temp" back then!

Starting with Palomino, there's supposed to be an on-die temp sensor, which the faster temp updates appear to confirm that.

I didn't think any socket A CPU's had on-die temp sensors. I ran Durons all the way through Bartons and none of them had on-die temp sensors.

I didn't think any socket A CPU's had on-die temp sensors. I ran Durons all the way through Bartons and none of them had on-die temp sensors.

Yep, which is why 50*C is as high as you want to go because on these chips, the core is probably hotter than 50*C. ;)

There is a way to attach a thermistor (or whatever it's called) to the core, or at least close to it. I've seen some pics of that anyway.

Might be worth it for me, since then I can see if that fan is just cooling the thermistor on the board, or actually cooling the chip better.

Back