• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software for a private interactive social web site?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
As you know, invasion of privacy is the very business model that drives many public social web sites.
If you wanted to have friends and family use a private web site hosted on your own server, what software would you use to set something like that up?

Just basic stuff like people simply having a profile, and communicating with other individual users.

Thank you. However, these both seem to be forum software.

Rather than forums, I was looking for something that provides every person/family with an individual profile page and then have people visit their profile page and then they individually communicate with each other, rather than through an all group [forums] setting.

Further clarification: Let's say 10 people are looking at your profile, and three of those are your brothers & sisters and the rest are friends.
And you have a VIP section where you upload family-only stuff, so you want those three family members to have access to your VIP section but friends would only have access to your Open section.
I mean the idea is simple, you just mark the three profiles as VIPs and then they have access. Mission accomplished.

What software can do that? Where would I even look, does it have to be custom made, and if so how much would it cost to make?

Last edited:
Thank you. However, these both seem to be forum software.

Rather than forums, I was looking for something that provides every person/family with an individual profile page and then have people visit their profile page and then they individually communicate with each other, rather than through an all group [forums] setting.

Further clarification: Let's say 10 people are looking at your profile, and three of those are your brothers & sisters and the rest are friends.
And you have a VIP section where you upload family-only stuff, so you want those three family members to have access to your VIP section but friends would only have access to your Open section.
I mean the idea is simple, you just mark the three profiles as VIPs and then they have access. Mission accomplished.

What software can do that? Where would I even look, does it have to be custom made, and if so how much would it cost to make?

seems to be lots of opinions and options here personally never used any myself

Take a look at humhub. They provide hosting, have free and paid accounts. The admin can tailor access as desired, from public to membership requiring admin approval. Members have a "space" with a profile stream. I'm not sure how feature rich the member's space can be, I just started playing with it.

Here's a screenshot of a sample member space humhub provided in the set up:

Last edited:
Not having much luck with it. Seems the free version is limited to 3 members and they provide two of them, so, useless.

edit: That's the "online version". I'll download the stable version and see if it's different.

And 20+ minutes to extract a couple hundred MB!?

Last edited:
Ideally, this would be a software that you would just use on your *own* domain.
Not another service.
On your own domain, totally controlled by you.

I haven't taken the time to try it yet, but : https://www.oxwall.com/

Edit: Oops, looks like it has features you're looking for, but is hosted. Hosted=bad?

Build up a site with modules that you want: Drupal? You may want to D/L the WAMP stack in order to run Drupal or other social media software from a Windows home server

Last edited:
Here's the dealio guys.

It will take 80-100 hours to complete the website.
If they build this in standard MVC based Laravel platform, maybe $3,500.
If they build this in WordPress then maybe $2200

I am told:
"Laravel: MVC based OOP approached Frameowrk to build high quality, social platforms very securely. Laravel is very secure and scalable. Development team can built anything with out any limitation. E.g. In our case we will be keep adding functionality and other things in future to as it progress. so Laravel will be great. Not only that since we have private and open access so security of the data must be highly encrypted and Laravel has great secure library to encrypt and authenticate users. Custom backend so admin will be very easy to manage."

"WordPress is also simple, easy to built, Take less effort. Good for certain extent. It's used small social sites, Ecommerce and blogging business website. WordPress can be secure if taken proper action. Novice developer and casual developer make mistakes during development and creates security hole for attacker. It has plugin system which is good for features but bad for security. "

"Summary/Suggestions:
---------------------------
If you want something with less budget and if you know you won't be extending this site much later, you can go with WordPress.

If you know it's going to be a really fantastic system and we can really use this platform for a great future business, of course I would recommend Laravel."

That's what I got from doing some research.

do some research on reddit.com/r/selfhosted that is an entire subreddit dedicated to people hosting services their selves. most of the self hosted open source softwares on there, its as simple as creating a database, unzipping a folder into your web server's directory, going to www.mywebsite.com/install and it will walk you through setting it up and linking it to the database, and setting up admin stuff. then boom there is your entire website.

Hit me up if you want it done in Laravel, if not to do the work, at least to supervise what they're producing for you - that much I'll do free.

IMHO, WordPress is NOT a good option for anything where you actually want users to produce content. Comment systems are great, but they still mean there is a primary article creator and everybody else is just comments and can't post their own original stuff. The organization of posts if you've got a lot of people as authors making a lot of posts would also be ugly. WordPress was never designed to be a "network" or interactive, and trying to shoehorn it in that box won't end well.

I also feel obligated to recommend any framework except Laravel for political reasons that will be left to ancient IRC logs.

If you just want it to be "not Facebook", you could set up a Diaspora node. Just note that's it's not completely isolated. You can limit who signs up on and can access your specific node, but it will link with other nodes and send/receive content between them, so you still have to make sure friends/family/colleagues who you've allowed to sign up on your node know better than to post a copy of their bank statements in the public channel.

There's also Open Source Social Network already if you want an isolated site. No need to develop Yet Another Thing.

Last edited:
If you just want it to be "not Facebook", you could set up a Diaspora node. Just note that's it's not completely isolated. You can limit who signs up on and can access your specific node, but it will link with other nodes and send/receive content between them, so you still have to make sure friends/family/colleagues who you've allowed to sign up on your node know better than to post a copy of their bank statements in the public channel.

Glad you mention Diaspora, was interested a couple years ago but lost track of it.

Back