• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solar panels, cheap!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I want one of these -

http://earth2tech.com/2008/08/01/hyperions-nuclear-in-a-box-ready-by-2013/

hyperionbox.jpg

The company says it initially plans to make 4,000 units — each being able to generate 70 megawatts of heat energy, or 27 megawatts of electricity from a steam turbine. That’s the equivalent power for 20,000 homes. There’s also the possibility of linking devices that could produce more power.
I'm really hoping Obama can push Nuclear power through. In a few years, these kinds of nuclear batteries would be amazing for base load power in combination with renewables.

Small modular nuclear ftw.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping Obama can push Nuclear power through. In a few years, these kinds of nuclear batteries would be amazing for base load power in combination with renewables.

Small modular nuclear ftw.

he should be pushing the Fusion reactor in the works in the EU. the show on Planet channel showed a test run of the plant. really does look promising, heating hydrogen to a plasma state(if i recall right). imo shows the most promise for power, since then we wouldn't have to worry about nuclear waste.

Pfff fusion, anti-matter please.

But seriously, I read recently about a newer Tokamak design that is supposedly way better than previous models. Normally with tokamaks, the plasma is swirled around the middle and the outer casing is a gigantic magnet to keep it steady. The newer design integrates magnetism into the plasma, so the magnet is inside the plasma instead of around it.

The national ignition facility is working on the laser / pellet ignition problem.

Our overall knowledge of plasma is pretty weak right now.

Last edited:
GET HEALTH CARE YOU DO NOT WANT OR WE WILL FINE YOU!!!

sorry that was OT. :) Love the progress we are making in solar & wind power. Isn't there a really kewl fuel cell option for homes too?

Isn't there a really kewl fuel cell option for homes too?

hope you got deep pockets...
http://www.fuelcellstore.com/en/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=53
not exactly for home but you could put more together to get the amount of power you need.

if you built your batteries around a 24v system this is the only one they offer. its 28v out though but using it to charge the batteries so..
http://www.fuelcellstore.com/en/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=54&idproduct=1108
and here is the 12v one...
http://www.fuelcellstore.com/en/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=54&idproduct=1107

for that price though i could buy a bunch of these [email protected] cells and make a nice big panel.
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G17387

At $1029 means you can get 171 cells. which from the math i have done for a 12v system you need imo at least 30 cells. that means you can make 5.7 12v solar panels. each panel would be 66watts each or if you went the 24v route at 50 cells. means you can make 3.42 24v panels at 114watts each. Now if you spent the $1780, you can get 296 cells. that would give you 9.87 12v cells agian at 66watts each per panel. then at 24v that would be 5.92 24v panels agian at 114watts each.

your simply getting more power for the money with the 4amp cells vs fuel cell. if they were a bit cheaper then i would say it might be a good option. the only good side with the fuel cell is being able to charge the batteries anytime regardless of the conditions outside but is it worth it?

...not if you have sunshine in your area. Now here in MI, it always seems dreary.

Coming a bit late to this thread. Nonetheless, details on our system are available here (panel pictures on 2nd page). You can get into a system like this for around US$10-12k these days. We get all of our equipment from Wholesale Solar. Great company with good prices; very professional and they make it all pretty much plug-and-play.

why close it, it seems there is interest in it, could we not just make a new discussion topic. Call it the "green energy" , where folks could discuss DIY solar and wind power. After all it does seem like the way we should go, get off the grid and become more independent, self reliant, start sellin power back to the power companies:attn:

why close it, it seems there is interest in it, could we not just make a new discussion topic. Call it the "green energy" , where folks could discuss DIY solar and wind power. After all it does seem like the way we should go, get off the grid and become more independent, self reliant, start sellin power back to the power companies:attn:

LOL cause it's in cyber deals! Maybe we can get it moved?

Agreed, this thread is full of awesome. Everything I have would fold 24/7 if I could take my house off the grid. Electric bills are breaking 800/mo :(

And my wife hates that ours is $110-$150.....

I'd be upgrading my rig every month If we could get our electric bill that cheap. I've see the bill break 1k in the summer months. I guess my house would be a prime candidate to be taken off the grid. It would pay off rather quickly

I agree that having it moved would be more appropriate than closing it...

I'd be upgrading my rig every month If we could get our electric bill that cheap. I've see the bill break 1k in the summer months. I guess my house would be a prime candidate to be taken off the grid. It would pay off rather quickly

2000W+ off-grid solar systems are currently running about US$45/KWH/Month.

A high load off-grid system would need to generate at full capacity. That means purchasing everything, including (literally) tons of batteries, up-front. Multiply US$45 x your current monthly KW/H consumption for a rough estimate.

Grid-tied might be the best option for a high-load user. With grid-tied, you can buy panels as you can afford them and put whatever you generate back into the grid.

Back