• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

solder wires?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadAgent

Registered
Whenever i try to solder 2 wires togeter, such as 2 wires that connect to a 80mm fan. the solder just beads off and doesnt stick to the wire. is it the type of solder that i have? what kind should i be using for that type of job?

You need to heat the wire until it melts the solder. Sounds like your heating the solder and trying to make it stick, doesn't work that way. IMO, best way to solder two wires together: strip first wire, twist the strands together, heat up the soldering iron until it melts solder, ( I ussualy have my soldering iron sitting on the bench) put just the tip of the stripped wire on the tip of the soldering iron while holding the solder about where the insulation ends, repeat with the second piece of wire. This is called 'tinning' the wires and makes it easier to get a good connection. Next twist the two wires together and put just the tips on the tip of the hot soldering iron until the solder flows, the heat from the soldering iron will 'wick' it's way up the wireso you just hold the solder by the insulation until it starts to melt.

Make sure that you have electrical solder too - it has a flux core to make it stick to small electronics and wires. If you're trying to use plumbing solder, it just won't stick.

It sounds like you don't have flux. It's a compound that you brush onto the wires that you need to solder.
The best way to solder is to strip and twist the wires together. Add a dab of organic, waterbased flux (it's made for electronics) to the joined wires. Take the iron, and melt off a bit of solder onto the tip, then touch it to the wire joint. The melted solder should flow immediately into the wires without much time/heating involved.

You can get this flux at RadioShack, I believe. There's also a brand called Sterling at Lowe's that's sold for plumbing, but is a waterbased flux as well. The organic waterbased is what you need. Some fluxes are clear liquid, and some are more of a creamy paste. I use a syringe to dispense mine onto the wires.

Acid based flux's are for plumbing, my can looks like earwax :p, but it also comes available as a liquid that's brushed on.
While it will work with wiring, it will corrode the wires over time, and they will fail, usually up inside the insulation where the heat chased it to. Highly NOT recommended.
Plumbing solder is best left to plumbing.

Happy trails!

*edit* I take that back, the Sterling stuff turned copper green in a test I just did, so don't use it for electrical wires....

Last edited:
You can get this flux at RadioShack

They doubled the price -- $5.99 for a small tube, and it wasn't in stock. :(

Fry's sells it, both in bottles (liquid) and small jars (paste).

thanks for the tips. i got the solder with a kit i bought at radio shack, so im asumming its the right kind.but i should probably get more or better stuff.

Back