• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Solution to the sleeve bearing problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ehume

Sleeve bearing fans can't push air up without dying before their time, right?

Sleeve bearings mean that when a fan is placed label side up the shaft hags from its retention disk. Since a retention disk is made out of plastic, and because when it is pulled it compresses the shaft, it is not a very good bearing.

Antec's TrueQuiet Pro may have fixed that. They have a 5mm magnetic disk that is strong enough to hold the blade assembly up against the frame. I discovered it when I was doing this review.

It's actually pretty cool. They may have fixed the sleeve bearing problem.

Too bad the fan is so expensive, though. Probably because the disk is some rare earth or other.

That's an interesting fan! I personally haven't had issues with vertical fans, but I like the magnet solution.
It's nice to see someone using the outer rim too. Toyota did that with the 80s 4runner/truck v6 motor.
$18 is pretty pricey, but not much more than Noctua's PWM jobbies. Admittedly I think both are too expensive, but you have to pay for New and Awesome I guess.

Also, I like the review, thanks for the link.

The price to pay for visiting this community is that you'll surely find something incredibly interesting and with a not cheap price tag that you'll want to buy. :rofl:

Nice read. Interesting design.

Back