• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Solved] Bad Case or bad cabling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

Hi, Is my case bad or my cabling is terrible? there's not space for dvd-drive , every time i want to do something with it i have to connect it :| My psu cables are also terrible!

Should i buy a new case or do the cabling all over again? The space under motherboard is less than 0.5 inches!

i included a few pictures !

asdf.jpg coped1.jpg

sorry i couldn't upload it to overclockers, the file was big!

fixed ! sorry had to crop them to make them small!

Last edited:
Attach the pics directly to this forum. Some of us cannot see those pics at work.

Click go advanced to send a reply click the little paperclip and upload the pictures please.

looks really clean to me... no reason for a new case. why is there no room for the dvd drive?

looks really clean to me... no reason for a new case. why is there no room for the dvd drive?

It can't be closed with the dvd-drive sata and power cables connected, my ssd-hdd power cable doesn't reach the drive so i have to plug another sata (each one has 3 heads) into the psu and there's no patch for it other than passing it from top of atx-power and if i do that i can't close the case!!!! the black thing that holds cables doesn't have any more space too :|

First, you do not have to run the cables and wires through the black organizer running from top to bottom. If you use that it would seem to require the cables to be extra long. If you route the cables in a different way outside of that structure they would not have to be so long and more would reach the area of need.

Second, if you lack sufficient SATA power connectors then just use "Y splitters" to make one PSU lead into two and to even turn a 4 pin molex power connector into a SATA power connector: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IDE-4P-to-d...t=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item1e96198573 (turns one 4 pin molex into two SATA power connectors)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-Power-...t=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item19ef255a04 (Turns one SATA power connector into two SATA power connectors)

These are from ebay but they can be bought from many other sources.

There are all kinds of cable adapters available to be able to work around many different kinds of cabling problems.

First, you do not have to run the cables and wires through the black organizer running from top to bottom. If you use that it would seem to require the cables to be extra long. If you route the cables in a different way outside of that structure they would not have to be so long and more would reach the area of need.

Second, if you lack sufficient SATA power connectors then just use "Y splitters" to make one PSU lead into two and to even turn a 4 pin molex power connector into a SATA power connector: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IDE-4P-to-d...t=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item1e96198573 (turns one 4 pin molex into two SATA power connectors)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-Power-...t=US_Drive_Cables_dapters&hash=item19ef255a04 (Turns one SATA power connector into two SATA power connectors)

These are from ebay but they can be bought from many other sources.

Y splitters could have helped! but they can't be found here :( as I remember it was hard to route the cables without using the black organizer! But i will try to do it all over again tomorrow!

Last edited:
Your other option would be to buy a better, more up to date PSU that has a lot of SATA connectors and long leads. What is the make and model of your PSU? Are aftermarket PSUs available in your country?

I still don't understand why you can't rout the cabling outside of the black cable organizer. Those cables don't have to be secured at all, really. They can just lay in the open part of the case if necessary or routed along the backside of the motherboard tray like some already are in your pictures.

Your other option would be to buy a better, more up to date PSU that has a lot of SATA connectors and long leads. What is the make and model of your PSU? Are aftermarket PSUs available in your country?

I still don't understand why you can't rout the cabling outside of the black cable organizer. Those cables don't have to be secured at all, really. They can just lay in the open part of the case if necessary or routed along the backside of the motherboard tray like some already are in your pictures.

my case : http://www.green-case.com/products/case/midi/case.php?model=Dragon_Pro
my PSU: http://www.green-case.com/products/power/power.php?model=GP650B-OC (sounds like my terrible English is better then theirs :|)

about 5 days ago i found a popular Persian website has added some decent Antec PSUs for a really fair price. i have to order it online(its the only place that sells good non-green PSUs) but i already spent a lot for my G650OC (upgraded from another psu) and it will be like a psu each month :D the distance between sata powers are bad, too long for my case tray, too small to reach the optical-drive! it actually has a pretty long cable, just bad place for heads

the black thing is supposed to make cabling easier but it just makes it worst ! i have 3 options: 1-passing it under the black thing (there's a little space under it) 2. passing it from top of it 3.passing in from inside the black thing! i can't pass cable over it, the case trays can't be closed that way !

my PSU has 3 sata cables , each one has 4 heads!

let me try to do the cabling all over again now, if it isn't my case's fault !

Last edited:
Okay, what am I missing. I just don't understand why you have to route the cables through the black organizer. Just run your power lead directly from the PSU to the optical drive on the inside, the open area of the case. Not as neat and pretty but functional. See my red line.

Attachments

• leads.JPG
    leads.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 65
Let me take a good picture at a different angel them you will understand what I mean! The black thing is Blocking the way unless I pass it thru it! And there is only 14mm space under my motherboard tray!

Last edited:
Do you mean blocking the back of the drive cage so that there is no room to squeeze a SATA power plug into the back of the optical dirive? I think I can see that problem now that you mention it. Well, then I would just remove the black thing altogether.

Kinda! It just blocks the cable it self! I guess its glued! BTW as I mentioned it has 14mm of rear space so I don't think it will help much, I'm not home right now I will see if I can remove it (and It helps when I get home)

What is the make and model of the case? Perhaps I can get some better views of its construction on the internet.

Yes , If that's the only option (because I will have to give up upgrading my phone !!l)

I will post a list of available cases in my country! I saw haf x somewhere ! But it was expensive :|

Sorry, but I just can't see from this picture of your case that the black organizer would be in the way of connecting a SATA power cable to the back of an optical drive. Looks like a pretty ordinary tower case with PSU in bottom. I don't see anything unique about the design that would cause this problem.

Attachments

• GreenDragonPro.JPG
    GreenDragonPro.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 60
i just got home, yes i realized i can pass the black thing from front (just found out now ! sorry ! but still the unused sata heads will prevent the lids from being closed (if i leave them on the right side of case behind the motherboard)

list of good available cases:
Silencio 452
Cooler Master N500
Cooler Master N200
Cooler Master CM 690 III
Cooler Master Cosmos SE Full Tower
cooler_master_cm690ii
haf x = expensive

let me ty something else, i will hide the heads on left side and see if i can still connect it !

YAY! i fixed it :) :attn:
IMG_20141203_201132.jpg
but it required so much force to close the case, is that a problem? the main problem with this case is the right side (under the motherboard) only if it was 5mm more i wouldn't have any problem with it i just moved the thick case usb 3.0 cable a little right with some force (so it doesn't stay on top of the led and power button cables) so the black thing no longer blocks the way !

Last edited:
Okay, what am I missing. I just don't understand why you have to route the cables through the black organizer. Just run your power lead directly from the PSU to the optical drive on the inside, the open area of the case. Not as neat and pretty but functional. See my red line.

:O now that im on pc i see the picture, i used to do that whenever i wanted to install games(then remove it afterwards), i thought thats bad :! because its a long cables and some of it go on top of the gpu and hit the mobo + i thought that blocks air !!

if the pressure on the cables is an issue i will do that ! i don't think redoing the cable management is gonna change much now unless i pass it from the front like you posted ! :)

edit: i tried that before, but i couldn't make the cable move, don't know what changed now !

Last edited:
Back