• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[SOLVED] CPU/GPU blocks in parallel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SushiSlayer,

Not sure why you seem so upset. I wasn’t writing anything saying you were wrong. I was thinking along the lines that we were in general agreement. Don’t know why you got so offended. I just saw there was a lot of confusion and tried to provide some information that is based on physics. I didn’t see the reason for mean spirited comments. But in reading your respond I saw some errors in your response. Though I do admit I made some errors by assumption for simplicities sake. So here are my responses and your errors:

1)With that said you do realize that electricity travels from negative to positive and only AC current travels both ways.
-I understand and agree with you. I put the arrow for general knowledge as I said above "analogue." When you use a DMM between those resistors in the way my arrow is shown you will ready positive amps. I wasn’t trying to further confuse non-engineers who typically think as I drew. This was a discussion of fluid flow not electron flow.

2) Water flows in the path of least resistance.
-True, but not completely accurate. For accuracy: Fluid flows due to a delta in pressure. Electricity flows due to a delta in voltage, Heat flows due to a delta in temperature.

3) Also when you you involve Electrical the formula changes completely. Electrical formula is Watt, Voltage and Current.
-Watts has no significance in determining current flow. Ohm’s law states V=IR Volts, current(I), Resistance. Power = V*I. For fluids, Power = pressure * flow. Very similar.

4) The Amps in the circuit is the current so that is what we would be looking at. If you put 2 batteries in parallel then the current (amps) double therefore proving my point. So you just helped my case while you were thinking you actually had an argument.
-Putting two batteries in parallel will not double current. The voltage will remain the same and the system resistance is the same. I = V/R. Therefore current is the same. Only difference is each battery is now providing half the current instead of just one. Batteries in “series” would double current. If you put two pumps in series, you double the pressure increase, thereby the flow.

5) Plus a BIG difference in the flow of electricity and water is simple, with the water you have to take in account for the viscosity, water gravity and a few other things, I can post the equation if you would like.
-No need, I understand, you see where I put the words repeatedly assumption made and "can't be used in real life but can be used to demonstrate points."

6) While most of your chart looks good other than your blue current lines, which are traveling backwards because DC voltage travels negative to positive. The short line for the battery symbol is the negative, long line positive. If this was an AC circuit then your arrows would be correct but your battery symbol would be different.
-See topic one above.

7) And as for your comment about the flow meters, you're beating a dead horse. No comment.
-Agree, was addressed to be complete to the concerns in the thread.

8) It's cool that you're a fellow engineer but you have to dot the "i"s and cross those "t"s my friend. You're suppose to be an engineer.
-No need to be so condescending, especially, when you seem to need to cross your i's and t's too.

9) Remember AMPS is the CURRENT which is what we are talking about and water is not the same as electricity.
-I never said water is the same thing as electricity. So I posted the equations that show fluids under pressure because similarly to electricity. As does heat
Electricity:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law
Fluid Flow:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagen–Poiseuille_equation
Scroll down to "Physics notation" (pi*r^4)/(8n*l) is the resistance
Heat Flow:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_of_heat_flow

I am guessing you are a computer or electrical engineer (no offense to these types of engineers :) ) to so strongly state fluids are not similar to electricity, otherwise, the meaning is worst. As stated above. they are not the same, but the laws of physics show irrefutably that they have similar general behaviors. Yes, electricy has inductance, capacitance, etc. and flow has viscosity, mass, etc. but the equations of flow are of the same type.

In closing, I have no hard feelings, and am not trying to be combative. I hope we can return to the fact we seemed to be in general agreement and be friends.

To everyone else, I am sorry for the last two posts on this thread, and stand by my original post. I provided real information that should be generally helpful. I will not be responding to any other possible negative post to minimize impact to this thread. But will reply to any other specific question.

Sorry again.

Last edited:
Kasm,

Hey buddy first off I agree, I am not trying to get uptight or aggressive. This is just me being me. I am pretty dry, sorry. I see all your points and agree with your response. This whole conversation started with someone asking weather or not they can do a parallel circuit, while everyone was telling this guy no I was trying to convince the public otherwise. Some of the more seasoned computer guys were shutting everything down without explanation so I just wanted everything to be clear to the public that parallel cooling is not only doable but effective.

I just want to make a final comment though. 2 batteries in parallel do in fact double the amps. This is why diesel trucks have 2 batteries in parallel, they need the amps to get the truck started. Fact.

I don't want anyone to thing that I am aggressive, this is just how I am. I will try to tone it down a bit. Sorry for that. I'm an engineer, it's how I am suppose to act hahaha

I am a mechanical engineer and build CNC machines. I also fabricate motorcycle parts, guitar parts, guns, computer parts (mainly brackets and cases) phone parts, credit cards (which is a cool process), ooohh and I make helicopter tools. Did you know helicopter tools are only allowed to be used 1 time!!! craziness! I do prototyping for a few companies and I also design Air systems for new customers.

Kasm,

Hey buddy first off I agree, I am not trying to get uptight or aggressive. This is just me being me. I am pretty dry, sorry. I see all your points and agree with your response. This whole conversation started with someone asking weather or not they can do a parallel circuit, while everyone was telling this guy no I was trying to convince the public otherwise. Some of the more seasoned computer guys were shutting everything down without explanation so I just wanted everything to be clear to the public that parallel cooling is not only doable but effective.

I just want to make a final comment though. 2 batteries in parallel do in fact double the amps. This is why diesel trucks have 2 batteries in parallel, they need the amps to get the truck started. Fact.

I don't want anyone to thing that I am aggressive, this is just how I am. I will try to tone it down a bit. Sorry for that. I'm an engineer, it's how I am suppose to act hahaha

I am a mechanical engineer and build CNC machines. I also fabricate motorcycle parts, guitar parts, guns, computer parts (mainly brackets and cases) phone parts, credit cards (which is a cool process), ooohh and I make helicopter tools. Did you know helicopter tools are only allowed to be used 1 time!!! craziness! I do prototyping for a few companies and I also design Air systems for new customers.

Last post here for me. Sushi, have you watercooled a PC? Yes or No. Easy nuff to answer. Don't care about what you do for a paycheck.

Back