• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some OC-ing help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

setl4nothing

Ok, so i got my new junk today, and its all up and running stock
--see sig

I tried to use the BIOS FSB speed set to 166--1833mhz. it would not post. im not sure if its a voltage thing, or if my computer cant handle it.

I just need a few pointers I guess where to begin. thanks in advance for any info ya'll can give.

Nolan

well, i upped the voltage to 1.7. and, im in windows now running completely stable. problem solved. lol. thanks guys!

[edit] looking at asusprobe, its saying my vcore is varrying between 1.728 and 1.744 or so. its this safe? or should i ease off the voltage a little bit.

You should be worried about your temperatures-- moreso than the voltage.

The XP Processor will handle a good amount of voltage (in the range of 2.0v or more), provided you have good cooling, and decent temps.

Run Prime95 for a few minutes, then check temps. That will give you a good estimate of what the full-load CPU temp will be. Use SiSoft Sandra of MBM5 to view temps within Windows.

With 1.85V, decent cooling, and good temps (i.e below 55C! full-load) you should be able to achieve 2ghz or more on that chip.

What you want to do, is aim for the highest stable fsb that will give you room for more overclock. 166 is a good place to start. Now you can up the fsb one by one (provided the RAM is decent), to see where the system gets unstable. Then determine whether it's high temps or lack of voltage that's causing the instability. If it's neither, you've come to the limit of the CPU.

In the case of high temps-- your stuck where you're at... The processor will not overclock more without added cooling.

In the case of voltage, raise the voltage a little, to see if the stability improves. Make sure when you increase voltage that you keep an eye on temps!

Good luck!

its at 31C right now. 4 explorer windows, installing service updates, running instant messanger with 5 windows. id say its doing ok for right now. but i cant get MBprobe to work on my new system. cant remember how i got it work before.

Back