• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some water cooling Q's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cool, If i get iodine and anti-freeze, is algaecide really necessary?

I'd only worry about it if you have large algae colonies near your house - that's why I asked about swamps.

If you lived in the Louisiana Bayou I'd say you're a fool for not using it. If your house is in Vegas or Phoenix I'd say it's a waste of money. I don't worry about algae all that much. I ran a loop for over a year without it and had no issues. If I weren't at the edge of the rural area I wouldn't even bother but there are several farm ponds within a 3-4 miles of me and I'm not on THAT tight a budget so I look at it as cheap insurance. :)

So the algaecide question it totally up to you. I personally don't consider it a "requirement" like iodine. I found out (after buying the algaecide) that ionized copper and silver are used in some swimming pool systems to kill algae, so maybe our water blocks and rads are enough? :shrug:

If you want to use an algaecide but don't want to deal with finding/buying it then just ask around. I'd bet you know someone who either has or knows someone who has an aquarium or pool. All it takes is a couple of drops of the stuff - buy 'em a :soda: or :beer: (as the case may be) and call it a day ...! :D

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try to get before and after screens. But you know how these E8400's are with the core readings, can't be for sure how accurate they are. :beer:

I'm off to Lowes and Auto Zone now, lol

This is what i got, the closest things i could find.

I got some tubing really cheap. 20ft of 3/8 ID 1/2 OD (he was using 5/8 OD, but i don't think it matters much? Lowe's didn't have 5/8 OD) And 1/2 ID 5/8 OD tubing for the reducers to the pump, if i need it.

How's this look, i got the store brand iodine, the betadine was $20, this was $10 (says compare to the active ingredient in betadine). Anti-freeze OK, its non-diluted, so i replace 1 pint of water?

DSCF2504.jpg

Last edited:
installed!

DSCF2533.jpg

DSCF2529.jpg

DSCF2537.jpg

I'll get pics of the pump and res. later. The res is on the other side panel and the pump is behind the case.

Back