• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something no longer works... CPU or MOBO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TuKr

Well ill start from the top... The CPU is only about 1 month old, G3258, On water, at 49x 1.44 volt stable. the MOBO is an Asus Maximus VI Gene Z87. I loaded an Nlite version of XP that I created so the it would load the HDD Drivers for the chipset. I ran a few Prime Benches with worse scores than my Win7 partition so i went to load that up. Well Boot instruction was gone for it, So i popped in the Win7 disc, repaired the installation, and poof, windows 7 popped up. So Awesome back to tweaking on a better score. as windows loads it tells me my copy of windows isnt genuine... well thats odd. so i reboot a couple of times hoping the problem will fix itself. Unfortunately it does not. So over to my other PC and google search whats going on. As im reading an article, the 3258 just shuts off... no warning or fan speed involved, no BSOD, just off. I try to power it back on and all i get is 00 on the Q-code read out, then i powercycle again and nothing. I can disconnect power, reapply and it comes up but with a 00, No post. well according to Asus manual, 00 is not used, I search for this problem on google and find some stuff about power connectors being seated, little things that affect new builds, but i try them anyway. Reseated Connectors, Swapped PSU's, disconnected HDD, reconnected HDD, Disconnected monitor, reconnected it, same with ram, Pulled the CPU, no bent pins, no water, put it back. Couldnt find any bent pins anywhere, or shorted legs. No water on the board so, I removed everything from it and let it sit by itself for 2+hours. Just tried again.... and still nothing. any Idea on which one it could be? the only other time i have seen the 00 code is when the Bios had to be updated to accept the haswell chip.

Me thinks 1.44v may have rushed the chip to it's demise. I say try the chip in another board and try another chip in the Gene to rule out the board. I'm leaning towards a dead chip.

Yep, you have two systems on the same socket try swapping the working CPU to the dead system.
If it still doesn't work, dead mobo.

Yep, you have two systems on the same socket try swapping the working CPU to the dead system.
If it still doesn't work, dead mobo.

will do and thanks for the replies guys, I just hate removing the 240L's block, its such a pain lol.

+1 Mr. Scott and ATMINSIDE, Mobo has shat all over itself... Pentium is still going strong. oh well. any suggestions for a replacment. I was gonna give gigabyte a shot and grab a z97 if possible to throw some entrys into the new compition if possible. get my hardware score up a bit.

Last edited:
I picked a gigabyte Z97 gaming 5. Size doesnt really matter.its a bench sitter

Back