• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something went wrong while formatting.. I think.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mage_x

I was formatting some partitions and reinstalling windows earlier, and 41% into the format, it froze and wouldn't progress any further after 20 minutes. I tried to turn the computer off with the power button, but it wouldn't turn off, so I had to unplug it. Plugged it back in, and it started up automatically with no POST and nothing on the monitor. Cleared the CMOS, plugged back up, and it still wouldn't post, but at least it did not start automatically this time. Power button still will not turn the computer off. Cleared CMOS again, unplugged everything unnecessary, but still no POST. This is where I'm at.

What went wrong here and what else can I try to do here? I really doubt any of my hardware would just die in the middle of formatting.

Athlon 64 3200 Skt 754
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
1gb Corsair PC3200
Western Digital 2500JB 250gb

I don't think the formatting was your actual problem. It would seem that you have some sort of underlying hardware fault. Does your mobo have indicator lights? Fans firing up? Any beeps when starting?

Have to taken the hdd to a shop and had it checked...same sort of thing happened to me a while ago and it was a dead hdd.

At least hd's are cheap nowadays.

CC.

Unplug your HD and try booting. Sounds more like a dead board to me though.

I thought it might be a dead motherboard too. Strange that any of my hardware would die after running normally, though.

No lights on my motherboard, Stool, but the fans come on. No beeps.

Have to taken the hdd to a shop and had it checked...same sort of thing happened to me a while ago and it was a dead hdd.

It isn't the hard drive, as it won't POST even with it unplugged. So you guys think it's probably my motherboard?

I had the formatting problem once, turned out it was a bad power supply. If your system won't POST there's a chance of a bad motherboard or CPU.

Back