• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sometimes pc wont post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiiiKK.

i wake up in the morning and turn on my pc and it works fine and i come in evening again and try to turn it on but it wont post.
everything is working fine. there's nothing on screen, KB and Mouse not turned on. there's VGA led on Ez debug on motherboard.
but then again, i try to turn it on next morning, it works fine. but since yesterday again, its not working.

Specs:
RTX 2060 FE
Ryzen 5 2600
MSI B450M Pro-VDH V2
Ballistix Sport LT 8x2 3000mhz
Corsair CX 2017 450W

please, this keeps happening and its bothering me so much. i really need help

My first guess would be the PSU. The Corsari CX series is serviceable but not high quality and the one you are deploying is only rated for 450 watts. It might not be able to provide adequate power for a system with an RTX 2060 video card.

My first guess would be the PSU. The Corsari CX series is serviceable but not high quality and the one you are deploying is only rated for 450 watts. It might not be able to provide adequate power for a system with an RTX 2060 video card.

it was fine until recently, i built this pc like 4 months ago

Components can and do degenerate over time. Especially if they are marginal in some way to begin with. Try re-seating the video card. Is the system overclocked in any way?

Nope, its how it is when i first built it. i dont really know how to do it and there's alot of powercuts out here

If your electrical service is unstable you absolutely need to invest in a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) or you are at definite risk of killing computer components because of voltage spikes. Are you in the USA? A UPS has a larger battery inside and an inverter that gives your computer power for a few minutes when the household electrical service goes out or flickers. It will cover momentary fluctuations in household electrical service and also give you time to do a graceful shutdown of the computer if the household electrical service goes out for an extended time.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-C...S&qid=1561480094&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Back to bios upgrades. Easy to do you just need to download the bios update from the motherboard manufacturer, unpack it to a flash drive and reboot into bios with the flash drive plugged in to a USB port. There is a bios "flashing" tool in your bios which will find the new bios version on the flash drive and install it.

Now, back to your PSU. Whether or not for sure the PSU is the issue I cannot promise. But even so, you really need to look at upgrading that to a higher wattage, higher quality unit. It is a foundational component in any system. Most of us here on the forum would suggest the EVGA Super Nova series of about 650 watts.

can a bad or dead CMOS battery cause this?
Not likely... but it's a $3 'fix'.

The PSU, if working properly (again its serviceable, not good) can support that system easily (gpu is 160w, cpu is . 65w.... 100W for everything else).

When it does boot, can you run stress tests on it? Loads arent that high on boot, so I'm not sure I'd look at the psu if it can pass a cpu and gpu stress test. That said, it is a cheap psu.......

If you are seeing vga light up, have you tried pulling out and reinstalling/reseating the gpu? Ram? Etc?

Nope, only A-XMP
run all default and see if it still happens...

If you get a pot of power outages, like trents said, a UPS is a great idea. It can prevent those outages from taking out parts on your system.

Last edited:
Not likely... but it's a $3 'fix'.

The PSU, if working properly (again its serviceable, not good) can support that system easily (gpu is 160w, cpu is . 65w.... 100W for everything else).

When it does boot, can you run stress tests on it? Loads arent that high on boot, so I'm not sure I'd look at the psu if it can pass a cpu and gpu stress test. That said, it is a cheap psu.......

If you are seeing vga light up, have you tried pulling out and reinstalling/reseating the gpu? Ram? Etc?

run all default and see if it still happens...

If you get a pot of power outages, like trents said, a UPS is a great idea. It can prevent those outages from taking out parts on your system.

yeah i tried to run the pc at default RAM speed when it boot before, and i tried to put RAM in different slots and one at a time but it didnt work

The only time I had this experience w/ a PC the issue was a bad PSU even though it was new. I ended up getting a fairly decent one after that and it lasted me about 10 years. Not sure if that helps but it could be the issue. If you have a spare PSU laying around I would swap it and see if you have the same issue. Bios being wonky isn't likely but a free fix if it is the issue.

1st thing I would do is put everything on stock settings and run all the stress tests as normal. Could even be a ram issue and a stress test could uncover that.

Back