• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sonata III 500 for a gamer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoHeadz42

Registered
Hi,

I'm a gamer and I'm wondering if the Sonata III 500 will fit me. I plan on buying a GTX 580 with a power supply of at least 600 watt. Will the Sonata III 500 do the job or not? Somebody told me it was not a good case for a gamer case, what do you think?

Thanks a lot.

It's less ideal than other cases. The overall airflow and case design might not quite be optimal. It'll be fine but I would look at something different. If you like Antec maybe a 900?

If you have the space (it is very very long) you might want a Silverstone Raven 2. It doesn't look like it, but the case really keeps components cool because of it's very evenly distributed straight bottom to top air flow. Looks really nice too. The case and airflow matter a lot. Going from a 300 to a 650D, and losing out on having a side fan blowing over my GTX580, I've lost nearly 15 degrees celsius. That's a lot. Just one fan in the right place is absent and the temp on a component goes up 15 degrees. That's why cooling is important. If you are a gamer, you should make cooling your number one priority. Don't be dumb like me and take a case window over air flow :p.

Sure I really want the cooling to be good. But what about the Antec 300 or Antec 300 v2? Would it do the job or it isn't a good case?

My Dad has the Sonata III case. I wouldn't recommend it for a gaming machine, I think it would struggle with longer video cards too.

It is more suited to a media PC than a gaming one.

Sure I really want the cooling to be good. But what about the Antec 300 or Antec 300 v2? Would it do the job or it isn't a good case?

300 is good. A big less air flow than the 900 as it is a little smaller and accomodates less fans. Only drawback is that it is a slightly cramped space to build in, and also some video cards are a bit of a hassle to get in. My GTX580DCUII cleared by 2mm. I don't imagine anything longer would clear. It's because of the way the hard drive rails are positioned.

I agree on the point of the 300, if your on a super tight budget for case (although, having a 580 kinda lends me the idea you may have a bit to spare) the 300 will do, I have owned one myself and can attest while what you get for in it's price range and foot print is good. It can get cramped QUICK once you start throwing hardware in there and try to keep cables under control.

And what if it was a GTX 570 instead? Would it make any difference? Because I am actually tight on the budget lol

reference 570 and 580's are identical , pcb wise.

Dont get me wrong, a 300 will suffice decently, but after a while you may be left wishing you had saved a lil extra for more room.

Back