• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Son's New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jben04

Registered
So,heres the deal,my son was saving his hard earned cash to buy the XboxOne,and now he decided he wants to build a gaming computer ( well,wants me to do it for him lol)
At the moment hes using a Dell Dimension E521.
He wants to be able to play ,minecraft, Skyrim and Call of duty, etc as well as use it for schoolwork,photoshop etc.
Already has a monitor and will not be playing in HD

Has a budget of $400 ( i told him if he buys the other parts ill buy him the GPU)
And this is what ive come up with :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($134.99 @ TigerDirect)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $400.45
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-17 21:00 EST-0500)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jben04/saved/3sRs

Would it be wise grabbing a aftermarket cooler to go on that CPU,or would the stock one be good enough ?
Or is there anything i could improve on?
Thanks for the help guys

If running at stock that looks good. I wouldn't OC the 8-core on anything that doesn't have an 8+2 VRM though.

Other than that, looks like a great starter system.

What GPU did you plan to pair with it?

Actually i was looking at getting the ASUS R9 270x for my own pc,,so maybe the same for his,,or somthing like the GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB

If you can, I would try to swing a 760 for you and a 650Ti or 660 for him.

Back