• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony & Microsoft Discuss Blu-Ray Drive For 360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6187311....ewstop;title;2

Nothing official but it's bound to happen but it's talks about a inbuilt one not external check this sentence out

"For its part, Sony welcomes the possibility of a Blu-ray-equipped Xbox 360. "If Microsoft wants to release Gears of War 3 on a Blu-ray Disc, I think we can make that happen," Sony Computer Entertainment America's vice president of product marketing Scott A. Steinberg told GameSpot prior to today's report."

********, if ANY games are released on BluRay by Microsoft it will be on the Xbox 3, not the 360. Microsoft is not Sega, they know better.

********, if ANY games are released on BluRay by Microsoft it will be on the Xbox 3, not the 360. Microsoft is not Sega, they know better.
I agree. I doubt that they would specifically release games on a platform that not every system has.

Games will come out always on DVD. They might have collector's editions or some such nonsense that release on Blu-Ray but I doubt it.

Why wouldn't they release games on blu-ray for consoles when they have them built in (aside from expense)? Developers that want to take advantage of it should. When the hardware is fast enough to access large textures and models quickly, I'd think it'd lend itself well to making larger more immersive games that aren't limited to multiple disks.

Isn't it possible that Microsoft could release a Blueray addon drive for the 360 to then play blueray games?

Microsoft has no motivation to release games on blu-ray. As a blu-ray player for movies, they tack on another selling point, but to release a game on blu-ray versus DVD all they do is segment their own market, it would be a stupid move.

Why wouldn't they release games on blu-ray for consoles when they have them built in (aside from expense)? Developers that want to take advantage of it should. When the hardware is fast enough to access large textures and models quickly, I'd think it'd lend itself well to making larger more immersive games that aren't limited to multiple disks.

Because they promised that they would keep games on DVD. If they break that promise they better send every single 360 owner a blu ray add-on.

I agree. I doubt that they would specifically release games on a platform that not every system has.

COUGH! *DIRECTX10*COUGH*COUGH*VISTA*

I don't know why you guys keep insisting Microsoft is a good-hearted company of basket weavers.

They have already segmented their market by not making the hard drive mandatory. If they do come out with a blu-ray player for the 360 it would most likely be an add on drive like the HD-DVD one was but your best bet for blu-ray will still be PS3 just because of firmware updates.

repeat....

MICROSOFT IS NOT SEGA, THERE WILL BE NO GAME PLAYING ADD ON BLURAY DRIVE ALA 32X AND SEGA CD *

The only successful gameplaying addon there has ever been is the 2600 adapter for the Colecovision. The 32X and Sega CD didn't work, the Nintendo DD didn't work, The TG16 CD didn't work (albeit the Turbo Duo did but it was built in)..... history shall not be proven wrong.

*if they release a game playing BluRay add-on drive for the 360 then I will eat a used pair of Rainless' socks.

Most Microsoft games are not HD-DVD right? I know lost planet and one of basketball games were hd, but I'm just trying to think of backwards compatablitiy with all the existing games. I don't think this is the case, but would an on-board bluray kill backwards comp on their existing games? If this is the case, I agree with the Fudge and his 8 star opinion.

repeat....

MICROSOFT IS NOT SEGA, THERE WILL BE NO GAME PLAYING ADD ON BLURAY DRIVE ALA 32X AND SEGA CD *

The only successful gameplaying addon there has ever been is the 2600 adapter for the Colecovision. The 32X and Sega CD didn't work, the Nintendo DD didn't work, The TG16 CD didn't work (albeit the Turbo Duo did but it was built in)..... history shall not be proven wrong.

*if they release a game playing BluRay add-on drive for the 360 then I will eat a used pair of Rainless' socks.

repeat....

MICROSOFT MIGHT AS WELL BE SEGA, THEY ALREADY RELEASED AN HD-DVD DRIVE THAT DIDN'T PAN-OUT ALA 32X AND SEGA CD *

Most Microsoft games are not HD-DVD right? I know lost planet and one of basketball games were hd, but I'm just trying to think of backwards compatablitiy with all the existing games. I don't think this is the case, but would an on-board bluray kill backwards comp on their existing games? If this is the case, I agree with the Fudge and his 8 star opinion.

No. NONE of the 360's games are on HD-DVD discs.

the game may be able to DO HD ( as in, it can be played at 1080P resolution ), but ALL 360 games are on Regular DVD's.

Back