• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony Vegas Rendering Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

So I have started into the Wonderful Horrifying world of Rendering. This is using the rig in my sig;

For a test run render; I saved a 1 hr stream to then render as a sort of "Raw" upload to twitch. That is to say, no effects, just the video generated by OBS

Currently, I am 28 minutes in with 3 hrs 47 minutes remaining. This is a 10Mbps 1080P @60fps Render.

I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 14(bought from humble bundle).

I need to know if adding an additional 8 gigs of ram would be beneficial to rendering times(I'd be upgrading anyways, as soon as prices start to decline/big sale etc)

Or What would be most beneficial for decreasing Render times at this point?

I'm looking into a Separate Rendering PC eventually That has NAS properties so I can game and render at the same time. This is down the road once I start to get income from the videos.

Have you checked Task Manager to see how much of the existing RAM is being used?

Rendering is a CPU intensive task but some rendering software is able to use the GPU to greatly accelerate the rendering process. Check this out:

Last edited:
Have you checked Task Manager to see how much of the existing RAM is being used?

Rendering is a CPU intensive task but some rendering software is able to use the GPU to greatly accelerate the rendering process. Check this out:

I did not >.<. Should have. d'oh

Final time for the render of a 53-minute video = 5 hours 17 minutes 43 seconds. Looking at results online, these numbers seem promising.

Temps during the render was at 68-70C, so at least my cooling is adequate.

I'll do a quick test render of a 3 minute video and see how that goes on Ram usage.

EDIT: The 2 minute video took 5 minutes to render.

Ram usage was only 49% and idles at 41% from system use.

A small video might be the cause. I'll start a re-render of the 53 minute video and check.

Edit: Ram usage DOES increase, to 53%, but it is still far from being pegged to 100%.

CPU is pegged 100% for full duration, So it is a CPU bottleneck.

So for that rendering PC build...

Thinking a Ryzen 2 or something ;)

Last edited:
Overclock more, sir:)

I got a shotty chip. It won't go higher than 4.6 ghz without immediate bluescreens even with 1.4 volts, and temps go sky high into the 95C area with ease. I'm not comfortable with 1.35 v nvm 1.4.(24/7) :/

4.5 ghz seems to be the most stable while staying under 80C.

EDIT: And GPU Acceleration is enabled, but it does little to nothing for render times or utilization.

After more research, It seems that I'm actually rendering fairly quickly by comparison to others who don't use Xenons or 2011v3/Ryzen 1700x etc. With 16 core 32 thread being the render kings, My chip is somewhere between "Good" and "Excellent" Render times.

It is just slightly sad to be unable to game while rendering(for good reason)

So Whenever I get around to building my Rendering machine, I'll definitely do some extensive research before I buy.

Last edited:
That's quite interesting about gpu. On mine, washed down Vegas pro(movie studio hd), it also has option to use gpu, but it doesn't seem to do anything either.

When enoding my stuff, going from hdv stream to mpeg-2(HD) is great, almost 1:1 speed, but choosing blu ray template slows things down quite onsiderably.

Yeah, more cores is the answer. Overclocking more won't have much impact. Ryzen most bang for the buck for this kind of task. Also, there are other rendering apps that probably do a better job of utilizing the GPU but whether they will do that equally well with AMD v. Nvidia is another story.

Last edited:
I remember giving a try cyberlink power director, boi was it wicked fast at rendering, even bunch of effects real-time were smooth as butter! Best performance I've seen to date!! UI is another story of course, aimed at mom or dad making a Facebook video of their kid type stuff. Also kept crashing often.

buddy, when it's time to build, it's just time to build.
if you don't, you're always , waiting on the next best thing.......

I mean budget will be accumulated and ryzen 2 will launch, as it will take time to save money for it

Sir, in that case I would just wait around until you cannot use the workstation at all or until you could afford something better. Please don't take it in a mean way. If the rig makes you money(pro videographer), then it may yield good results, as time is money, but if tire just doing video on the side or as a hobby, probably just hang onto what you have a little while longer. :)

Dad is right in this regard(we posts up)

Are you doing a lot of rendering and is it a hobby or an income producing activity? How critical is it to be able to do it faster?

More of a hobby than anything else; But I would prefer one hobby(Rendering) to not interfere with another(gaming) and since rendering cripples cpu, that means no gaming while rendering.

Income is a secondary concern, but the cost to do one hobby and the other simultaniously is not currently feasible.

I know this probably is not something you want to hear, but you could affiniate rendering to first 2 cpus and gaming on other 2.(if rendering is very important and can't wait.)
Or you could render at night when you are resting.

Back