• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soo tell me are all 3 of....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Memphis69

soo tell me are all 3 of thease programs with my BIOS and my windows program wrong saying that i DONT have a moble sempron... i mean if it quacks like a duck.. and walks like a duck.. it must be.??? i dont know all you uber smart ppls that are tellin me that my stuf is not reading it correctly what now.???? http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Memphs67-desktop.JPG

Look at the CPUID info - specifically the family, model and stepping. The Name String is merely an interpretation by the software programmer of the software itself. The CPUID info is indisputable and from that information (Family 6, Model A, stepping 0) it is clearly a mobile barton - remember this cpu is not designed for desktop so the bios has difficulty recogniosing it accurately (which is why some mobos boot up at a multi of 6 or 5.5 with these cpus). A look at the cpu itself will confirm this.

kool thank you.. lol you have givein me the first real answer.. lol

The problem arises because Semprons and Bartons have similar stepping ID's so thats why these identifiers get confused. As you clearly have 512Kb L2 cache and the only Sempron to have that is a desktop at 3000+ then that is why you definitely have a mobile barton. Also the only mobile Semprons so far are socket 754 not socket A (and as such have an entirely different identifier).

Thats for ordering the processor rather than identifying it through the CPUID. Once you have installed the cpu you would need to remove the hsf to get this info. However once removed it will categorically show what the cpu is.

That is just a BIOS glitch, it can't recognize the mobile XP properly, so it detects it as a Sempron. Just ignore the "Name String" field (GCPUID)

alright but its kind of stange and kool tho right.. ( at least i think so.. )

The Name String is being written to the CPU by the BIOS at POST. The CPUID programs just read that part of the chip and basically display whatever the BIOS has put in there at POST. If the mobile AthlonXP isn't in the BIOS's Name String list, a well written BIOS will just put an unknown cpu type (like the abit nf7 does), but some other BIOSes will just put something that is just next/previous in line.
As I said ignore it, it's just a BIOS glitch.

Back