• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOOOO Ticked and Dissapointed with NVIDIA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
After dinner tonight, I sat down at my main PC...noticed the exclamation point on the NVIDIA GeForce Experience.

Opened up...new driver available 364.47. Cool. Set to download.

Went over to my other machine to download, and there was no new driver available. 362 was the latest and greatest.

Thought this was strange.

Driver finished downloading on my main machine. Hit install...screen starts flashing like crazy...Video TDR Failure.

Windows saves off the stuff...reboots...BAM does it again...and again.

Have you ever tried to get Windows 10 into Safe Mode? Other than rebooting into Safe Mode, I couldn't get in...not even with recover media.

Tried recovery media...went to restore points...THERE ARE NONE!

Not only had this driver dorked things up, it removed ALL of my previous restore points.

WTF?????

I tried a GTX 980...the system booted fine.

Now I am thinking hardware...but how could the hardware be bad ONLY after a driver install? Nope, has to be drivers.

Put my 980 Ti back in...

After interrupting the Windows boot sequence I was FINALLY given the option to do Safe Mode.

DDU to clean things up.

Install NVIDIA 362 drivers.

BAM...everything works!

I go into the GeForce Experience...and am not given the option to download the driver that crapped things up.

NVIDIA...I am very disappointed in you.

Nice stealth driver take back...that didn't even reset YOUR program correctly.

2 hours of my life gone...

PFFT

Was it a beta update?

I usually just stick with drivers that work. No real need to update 'em. I didn't like that "Geforce Experience" anyway.
Drivers and Phys-X is all I install.

Or perhaps the Geforce Experience app glitched and just gave you the wrong driver..?

It wasn't a beta update...that I know for sure.

After suspecting hardware failure...I googled around a bit...I wasn't the only one hit by this.

I only do the WHQL Driver and Phys-X install. You could not do the safe mode procedure in windows 10?

I couldn't get into safe mode...it would get almost to the login screen then flicker...dots...bars (like a bad graphics card)...then TDR failure...reboot...rinse...repeat

Last WHQL shows as 362.00 on both their website and in GeForce Experience, and that came out barely a week ago. :shrug:

That's a drag

It has been my experience that the nVidia Experience = FAIL

Don't install it ever period, end of story

I saw the update too, downloaded it, but didn't install it as it was getting close to bed time. Next day, various tech sites were talking about how it killed people's systems so that was a lucky escape. It seems they've pulled it, and they've apparently got a fixed version in WHQL testing before re-release.

You aren't the first person this happened to. This was a multi monitor issue (that didn't manage to effect a lot of multi monitor users oddly enough).

Download drivers on your own...you are an experienced user and do not need the NVE holding your hand for drivers. Only install things you need... this goes for ALL driver packages. Uninstall NVE man...

I saw the update too, downloaded it, but didn't install it as it was getting close to bed time. Next day, various tech sites were talking about how it killed people's systems so that was a lucky escape. It seems they've pulled it, and they've apparently got a fixed version in WHQL testing before re-release.

You aren't the first person this happened to. This was a multi monitor issue (that didn't manage to effect a lot of multi monitor users oddly enough).

Download drivers on your own...you are an experienced user and do not need the NVE holding your hand for drivers. Only install things you need... this goes for ALL driver packages. Uninstall NVE man...

Guess I missed it. I normally wait a week before I download and install the latest drivers just because of this reason. And yes, I do run GeForce Experience, but I don't allow it to make any changes on its own, so I don't have to deal with problem drivers like the one the op had.

I don't let GeForce Experience to anything on its own.

It suggested the driver update, so I downloaded and installed through GeForce Experience...

Just ticked that something could get out that was this bad.

And then, they removed the link from the NVIDIA website, but didn't remove it from the repository that GeForce Experience pulls from.

If I was a less experienced person, I would have suspected a graphics card failure and returned my 980 Ti (as the drivers worked just fine with a GTX 980 and 960).

I expected more from NVIDIA.

Correct me if I am wrong here, but this only affected people with multiple monitors and it only affected some (not me).

I don't expect perfection...to me, it is unrealistic to expect things to work for every system. Now, I am minimizing the issue, no doubt, but, I am trying to put a bit of perspective on it as well. ;)

I don't usually change drivers on my machine unless I need to for a game etc... If it ain't broke.....

Beta drivers are more stable than you think they are. ;)

Also, for a lot of people, this was a forced upgrade due to either W10 of the NVExperience crap. As I said in the original thread (may merge these.............please search before posting - not like that other thread had a good title - good LAWD am I a bitter monkey today :rofl:) Don't install NVE...and if it works................wait Johan said that.

Good for the comedy value ofc
Not really, no. Hate doesn't even begin to show my disdain for that site and its owners and their bologna. But I digress. :)

Last edited:
Please do merge, at least the nvidia link is interesting of sorts. Hell i'm happy with my 361.91 so far (spent months on the 355.98) and only ever jump driver at the end of each "phase".

- - - Updated - - -

Beta drivers are more stable than you think they are. ;)

We can tell :rofl:

Back