• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sorry Asus....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viol8ted

So after reading the horror stories of Asus's RMA services, I've decided to pick up a Gigabyte Z97 UD5H. I was looking at grabbing the Sabertooth z97 Mark 2. Not after what I've read here on this forum! Hopefully they will get their act together sooner than later.

So after reading the horror stories of Asus's RMA services, I've decided to pick up a Gigabyte Z97 UD5H. I was looking at grabbing the Sabertooth z97 Mark 2. Not after what I've read here on this forum! Hopefully they will get their act together sooner than later.

You know that these RMA cases are like one per million ? ;) All also depends from service center. Each region/country etc has its own support, different people and slightly different rules.

Still UD5H should be good board. Sabertooth is generally overrated.

Last edited:
You know that these RMA cases are like one per million ? ;) All also depends from service center. Each region/country etc has it's own support, different people and slightly different rules.

Still UD5H should be good board. Sabertooth is generally overrated.

How about maximus boards? are they overrated/overhyped too?

ROG boards are like different class of products. Even though they are not free of various bugs ( like often some BIOS issues that are sometimes fixed but sometimes not ), they're still one of the best series on the market. I've also noticed that support will faster fix it than any other ASUS series even if you make something stupid like have watercooling leak and something break because of that.
Sabertooth is just standard board series hidden under this plastic weird looking shield thingy.

Personally I'm only buying ROG, ASRock OCF or Gigabyte OC series lately ( let's say for last 3-4 years ) but I'm using them for longer in the benching rig before I put it into daily rig ( or sale ).
Every board is good for a gaming PC or general daily usage. Not every is good for overclocking.

From new boards I've noticed that ASRock Z97M OCF is in really good price. If you don't need full ATX board then it's great option for everything in price below $180.

You know that these RMA cases are like one per million ? ;) All also depends from service center. Each region/country etc has it's own support, different people and slightly different rules.

Asus have somehow managed to make the same story pop up over and over.
So it may be one in a million, but that one in a million case is identical every time.

Each time I see a story about ASUS support, it's about something else. I'm not protecting them as I had many weird problems with their support in the past. I'm just saying that they are receiving a lot of RMA as they sell a lot of hardware and these problems presented on the forums are only single cases ... still shouldn't happen but it's not like they make it 100 times per month.
ASUS had much worse support couple of years ago and now ( believe or not ) they are constantly improving. Their online support is still useless though.

If you live in Europe then you can count on totally different support. ASUS in EU is using external support centers and they are fixing stuff in the different way. Most RMA in EU go through store or distributor, not ASUS support. You can demand money back or replacement from the store after 2-3 weeks or in some other cases. Just can't compare it with direct ASUS support.

If local law is not saying otherwise then 1st is store's warranty agreement 2nd is manufacturer's warranty 3rd is general warranty law in your country. I wouldn't try it from back as on the last option you are usually losing ( time, money or both ).
Simply knowing your rights you can force to get replacement or money back if you have problems with support.

Again I'm writing it as I know distribution where I was working for about 10 years and I still work in IT having contact with manufacturers, support and distribution.

Last edited:
I have a had great luck with Asus support. I agree we see a lot of negative threads about the Asus support.

Unfortunately we never see threads about them when they meet expectations.

The UD5 through the different platforms thru the years has proven itself a capable board. I think you will be happy with it.

Like Woomack I only really buy the enthusiast level boards these days as they typically bring the highest quality components and overclocking features to the table. They also seem to get priority from the respective support staffs regardless of the company.

The only UD5 which I remember that was total fail was GA990FX-UD5 ... long story but AMD users know what I mean :) In my brother's PC is Z77X-UD5H which I won in some competition on OCF long time ago. Before I got it, it was on LN2, shipped from US and works for longer without any issues.

I rocked a P67-B3 that failed, but was a good overclocker and the Z68 replacement that I benched and then sold to a friend, still working well to this day

I personally have never had an issue with a Asus product. They have always worked as advertised and even surpassed that at times. I do believe that the sabertooth board is overrated on the intel side of the market and that several boards in that same price range offer better features. I still love my Maximus hero z87 chipset because it is rock solid and offers me everything I will ever need in terms of overclocking.

I have owned a few gigabyte boards and they all worked great but the bios was not as user friendly as Asus. The only brand I would stay away from is MSI especially there lower end gaming series boards. I have owned only one board from MSI and it died after one month with stock settings and the replacement died after three months. That was on a p67 chipset but after that I swore them off.

I think you will really enjoy your UD5H it looks like a nice board.

I'm another one that's had numerous positive asus rma experiences. In the course of benching, I tend to break a lot of stuff (always a source of frustration but that's my fault). Have dealt with asus rma roughly 10 times in the last 3 years and it's always the same process:

- call or email for rma#
- ship board to them
- they get it and confirm receipt within a week or so (via email)
- if under warranty, the let me know, fix it and send it back (usually within 2-3 weeks after my sending it to them)
- if not under warranty, they send me a quote (flat rate) and credit card charge form
- I print it, fill it out, scan it and send the form back via email (this is one area where asus could really improve....like letting you accept the quote and pay via website or something)
- they fix it and send it out within 72 hours of receiving my signed credit card form

Honestly....other than the manual credit card authorization form I've never had an issue.

Funsoul, I believe you are dealing with all ROG boards, correct?

All the MSI boards have worked fine, other than terrible memory efficiency I can't complain.

Rock one in my 24/7 ride that has been nothing less than beastly.

It was an MOA qualifying board.

Pretty much except I did send in a p5q pro a few years back...same process/experience with that one.

Yeah, ROG RMA's don't have the same bad rap as the typical Asus RMA.

I don't doubt there are plenty of good experiences to go with the bad, but there are a ton of bad ones...

Years back, Asus was better. Pegatron was owned by Asus and made Asus's boards, and their warranty department was great.

Now ECS makes their boards and they try to weasel out of warranties on anything lower than a ROG board.

Sabertooth is overpriced marketing anyway, you made the right call.

The p5q pro's not ROG so I guess in some weird, twisted way I should consider myself lucky (10+ rmas over a few years is hardly lucky hehe)

(10+ rmas over a few years is hardly lucky hehe)

Again, all but one was with the ROG department, which isn't where the Asus warranty issues lie.
And the one that wasn't ROG was back before all these issues started cropping up.

Back