• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sort of new...got a question..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bubba gump

Well, in the case that I don't want to spend ~100 bux for a meanwell PSU on a peltier...I though about building one..then I noticed my extreme lack of electricals and such, yes I can solder but it ain't too clean.

Information:
Then I thought, well this 226w pelt from DangerDen draws 24A , then I looked at a PSU spec sheet setup by Penguin4x4 who's amperage on the 350W PSU were the same, (the EG365P-VE FCA) which happens to run at a max of 26A, and the max of this peltier is 24A.

I will be watercooling the pelt after I get some funds for the wc, then a month or so later I will add the pelt. But I will be watercooling the pelt, and I don't think my 2100+ @ 8X200 1.95vcore will get much over 83W (using a calculator from http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html ). 82.67 was the wattage it gave when I put in in the clock speed and the vcore.

Question:
Now, after all that explaining, what I am wondering is if the peltier shown above will run off of the PSU also above? The peltier will not need to be moving all the energy over, becuase there will not be that many W to remove...so will it still remove that energy or will it just not need the power to do it?

The only thing being insufficient in this setup is the voltages on the PSU, noting how the largest rail is 12V, and the max draw on the pelt is larger than that, so is there a chance it will kill the PSU? Should I look into buying a meanwell psu or something like those?

Sorry for the overly explanatory post, but I wanted to make sure the reader(s) got all of the information necesary...

Thanks in advance!
Fold and Frag on
Brian

I'm not sure if it will run on that PSU, but it might.

what I am sure about though is that it does not matter if you are not operating it at the max voltage.

actually removing 83w could be done using something like a 172w peltier, which might draw less amps, if you are sure you won't go over 83w, maybe a 172w peltier might be better.

but I think if the PSU is rated for 26A continuous use on the 12+ line, then 24A should be alright. Just make sure it can run at that many amps constantly, that that is not some kind of peak rating.

The thing is, is that the 26A is the peak...which wouldn't be good to run at 24/7....and looking at ebay someone is selling a meanwell 25A 12V psu for 40 shipped....thats lookin pretty nice...4 days left, maybe enough to convince the parents. Then again, its a person who's their first item, so I dunno...

But as long as that calculator is correct, than it would only be movin 83w :)

Doesn't swiftech make a TEC psu? I don't remember the name of it...but I will look into some 172w pelt's too...

Thanks for the reply :)

Fold and Frag on
Brian

Last edited:
Well, I got some more info...

Peltier 1:
Found a 172w peltier...never heard of the company though (haven't heard of many tec companies though anyway :D) here and here for the potted TEC's. Its the 172W in the second link for the "number" and it costs 35 bux, which I think is reasonable and it draws 11Amax and 24vmax. Even at the max amperage of 11, it won't be at the full 15v that it would need at that level...so...hmm I don't know if it would cool it efficiently.

Peltier 2:
Another pelt that seems like it woudl be sufficient (if I did my math right...) would be the 169w dangerden pelt. Here. It runs for 38 bux, and at its max amperage of 16A, it runs at 10V which seems like it should work w/this PSU that I had planning, maybe even a cheaper one but not sure about going cheaper.

I'm thinking the second one would be the wise choice...and it still goes under the "double" rule if I do stay around 83w....

Fold and Frag on
Brian

That second one seems nice. But I think the best is if you can find a peltier rated at around 170w with a voltage range of between 12~15v.

what processor at what speed and voltage are you using to calculate that 83w?

normally you need roughly double the heat output of the CPU as the heat pumping capacity of the peltier for an efficient system.

That 12v 25A PSU looks nice, but I guess it would be best if you could find it for that price from a reputable seller.

The cpu is the one in my sig, a 2100+@200X8 (I'm going for a FSB O/C) and at 1.9vcore. And the final MHz would be 1600MHz.

I'll look a bit more at peltiers if I can find a few different companies...a searching I shall go...hopefully I can find some different mfctrs...

Thanks for the help :)
Fold and Frag on
Brian

And after some number crunching, and some that JFettig had calculated for me before, w/the whole amperage/voltage tradeoff in the peltier, it would only be running at 18A.

The specs I gave above, were 24A MAX and 12V would be the environment it would be running, but not at 24A, I guess I made this a bit confusing...

Since the peltier is 226w, and we know that V(olts) X A(mps) = W(atts), 226 = 12v (from the 12v rail on the psu) * A. After a bit of algebra, we find out that the amperage that would be used by the Peltier at 12V would be 18A. 18A is way under the max of the PSU, and I'm pretty sure the PSU can handle that strain! If it doesn't, it will die prematurely and hopefully the system will shut off before my CPU dies in that event :p

So...hmm...I'm thinking that that PSU will work, now one other post to see if this will all go as planned....

Fold and Frag on
Brian

ummm...

I think 226w might be the heat pumping capacity of the peltier, and not necessarily its power requirement...

I might be wrong, but I think a 226w rated peltier might draw a lot more power than 226w...

You should check the specs just to be sure...

I remember my 220w peltier did pull around 24A at 15v...

Hmm...ya it seems I misinterpereted(sp) the numbers...heh gotta love being new to this :)

But I wonder how much it really draws......once I have it all hooked up to some sort of ps would there be a way to test how much it draws? put a multimeter in between the connection?

Yeh...oopsie on that last post..

Fold and Frag on
Brian

that's alright... I'll try find some numbers on this...

226W Peltier

Maximum operating temp: 125 C

Imax = 24 Amps

Qmax = 226.1 Watts

Vmax = 15.2 Volts

Delta Tmax = >67 (C)

yub... looks like the 226w means the maximum heat transfer power.

it's actual power drain is 24A x 15.2v = 364.8w !!!

Well of course that is at the max...but then again...do TEC's always run at max? Someone was telling me that they always stay at that designated "max" rating, and if they do then I wil definately need to look into a peltier specific PSU...

May have to research their construction a bit..

Fold and Frag on
Brian

well... the numbers do seem right for 15v and 24A, as that's what I had when I used a bench PSU for the peltier.

I think at 12v, it will be more like 19A... if peltiers obey Ohm's law...

that lowers the power consumption a lot, to just 230w.

I think at 19A, maybe that 26A peak PSU might be able to handle it.

Last edited:
For rough calculations peltiers follows ohms law.

Peltiers are partly bound to ohms law, but also to the seebeck effect. As soon as you have a temperature difference between hot- and cold-side the seebeck effect will spook your ohms law numbers. The higher temp difference the more ohms law will be incorrect.

Unfortunately I don't remember if the resistance will be lower or higher in our applications....

Back