• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spam emails

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RockerGuy

It seems like this morning I've been mail bombed!! :(

I open my work email and find 300 emails from different senders and most of them from POST MASTER. :confused: I am sure that some1 is trying to mail bomb me. Is there a way to prevent this from happening and finding out who would do such a thing?? :temper:

Cheers

You could read the headers if you know how.

If not, shoot me a PM and I'll assist you. I don't want you posting personal info here ;)

Your address could have been spoofed, and you are getting all the bounce back emails.

It seems like this morning I've been mail bombed!! :(

I open my work email and find 300 emails from different senders and most of them from POST MASTER. :confused: I am sure that some1 is trying to mail bomb me. Is there a way to prevent this from happening and finding out who would do such a thing?? :temper:

Cheers

I personally use and recommend Mozilla Thunderbird. I have an account that receives mountains of spam but that I still need to check. I turn on Thunderbird's spam filter, wait a few days for it to "learn" and then I just create a message filter that says any message marked as junk delete. I love it.

My ISP lets me change email address on a whim, and I've changed my address if I start getting too many spams. By changing email address (in most time adding a 1 to the end, then incrementing it each time I change), old email address stops working and those spams get bounced back out.

Most standard spam don't have valid return address and ends up in the void, possibly back at the originating SMTP server. Spoofed email address would mean the unfortunate spoof-ee gets loads of bounced spam. If it was an email bombing, those bounced emails would make the originating ISP rather upset and possibly ban the bomber's account for abuse.

My ISP lets me change email address on a whim, and I've changed my address if I start getting too many spams. By changing email address (in most time adding a 1 to the end, then incrementing it each time I change), old email address stops working and those spams get bounced back out.

Most standard spam don't have valid return address and ends up in the void, possibly back at the originating SMTP server. Spoofed email address would mean the unfortunate spoof-ee gets loads of bounced spam. If it was an email bombing, those bounced emails would make the originating ISP rather upset and possibly ban the bomber's account for abuse.

Unfortunately when it is a business email u cant readily change it to anything u please :(.

I've been getting less spam now. I think he realize his point is not getting across.

Yeah it can be an issue with business email address, it's hard to change it once in a while to stay ahead of spammers.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening

Forward every email to your email admin.

Can we see a snippet from the headers?

If they were all returned for no such recipient, chances are the mail from line used your email address.

I was spam bombed this morning with 500 emails from the same SENDER all with the subjectline Mikaela Lancaster is a *****. I dont know who this person is. How do I stop this happening to me again?

Id report that mess to my corporate email admin. Sounds like you have found a 'buddy'.

Z

Back