• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spare parts questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moonters

Registered
Months of research here and the internet in general and 99% of my questions have been addressed. But the biggest one, what spare parts should I keep around?

Seams a good idea to have some spare hose, pump, maybe a few fittings / clamps incase of disaster. Is there anything else handy to have in the spare parts drawer?

That being the primary question, there is one other, at what point should I be using 2 pumps. The build is cpu gpu and looking at 2x 120.3 radiators with a d5 or ddc pump, haven't totally made up my mind on that specific part yet. I don't think I'm pushing the limits of those types of pumps, but if I do decide to expand later in to sli and another rad and water block would I be pushing those limits?

Thanks bunches for such a wonderful community that has allowed me to learn so much while lurking in the shadows.

having fun,
Moon

Pump is nice to have, a handful of fittings, maybe a few O-rings for your blocks if you do a lot of teardowns.
Not much besides that.

I would say extra tubing and o-rings. An extra fitting or two wouldn't be bad but its not like they go bad after a year. I've had my fittings for years. As far as anything more, it just depends on how much of a crisis it would be waiting a few days if something breaks. I think an extra pump is a bit excessive unless you would be devastated by more than a few hours of downtime.

Last edited:
:welcome: to OCFs. Nice to see you walk out of the shadows and identify yourself. :p

As for having spare parts, well I have tubing, fittings and some o-rings on the side as well as a bunch of other stuff but of course I over do things. But in general those 3 things should be at hand just in case.

Only reason why I went 2 pumps is because of redundancy, for added security because I'll leave my PC to Fold for hours and for reduced workload and noise level on 1 pump since the 2 split it up. I have them working at a lower speed than I would have using just 1. It's up to you but you don't need 2 pumps but if you must than you must. :D You should remember a single DDC or D5 pump can handle a pretty complex loop solo.

where I'm at getting a part could take a few days in delivery. Not a total crisis, as I'm used to loosing power for up to 7 days at a time. Preferring to lean to the paranoid side as this is obviously my first attempt. I want to do things right and want to be as prepared for surprises as reasonably possible.

I have thought of a dual pump set up and am currently re-exploring the idea. nothing Is fixed, and in my situation I'll have to break things down in to multiple orders so the current idea in my head is subject to change :)

Any ways, thanks a ton for the responses very useful

Having Fun,
Moon

where I'm at getting a part could take a few days in delivery. Not a total crisis, as I'm used to loosing power for up to 7 days at a time. Preferring to lean to the paranoid side as this is obviously my first attempt. I want to do things right and want to be as prepared for surprises as reasonably possible.

I have thought of a dual pump set up and am currently re-exploring the idea. nothing Is fixed, and in my situation I'll have to break things down in to multiple orders so the current idea in my head is subject to change :)

Any ways, thanks a ton for the responses very useful

Having Fun,
Moon

I don't think you should go 2 pumps unless you need more head than one pump will do. If you did not need the extra head, I would only buy a 2nd pump if are going to use this rig to mine coins , fold, etc... and don't want a pump failure to mean a thermal shutdown. I'd use it for present or future hardware upgrades instead.

Also you should make a sig even if it is not a rig you own yet but are planning on doing so. It always helps to get an idea of what type of system when giving advice.

Weee Lookie i made a sig!

98.3% sure I don't need the extra pump, but redundancy does appeal to me. Sill leaning towards a single pump and a spare in the parts drawers.

pretty sure I made a sig for all of ya to look at and point and giggle over. right now it is largely spare parts put together with a bit of haste, last computer got fried from lightning bouncing around inside the cottage. But hoping to expand on the lil monster I created and make it in to something fairly decent.

I'm finding the concept of water cooling very exciting can have quiet and power and wont have to fabricate. I'm all giddy and hoping to start ordering parts soon, after ram, ram first then rads then will be able to have a better idea what space i'll have in the case.

It would be a good idea to have a spare pump on hand in case of pump failure also some O-rings for your fittings and extra fittings. If your buying tubing in a 10ft Retail Pack you may have some left over like I do (4' extra) :)
Nice Case :D

This build looks good. :thup: Hope us share your journey with us via build log. :D

Back