• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spec me a motherboard please ... 990FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revolution01

Hi all,

Need to get shot of my Asus M4N75TD motherboard due to memory and low OC issues.....among other things with it. (no 16x, USB3, Sata 6, etc) seems its an entry level SLI board, I need something alot better, inc higher Overclock.

Question is this, what to go for..

Running 955BE 3.2 at 3.8, want to up it a bit more.
Frio OC Cooler.
2x GTX560TI`s
16GB Corsair XMS1600CL9. (4x4GB)
Corsair HX1050 PSU.
HAF 932 Case.

This motherboard I have now seems to be a bit weak.

Playing Skyrim and Arkham City lots too.

Choices are...

Asrock 990FX Extreme 3.
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX.
Asus Sabertooth.
Asus Crosshair V.
Gigabyte GA 990FXA UD3 or UD5.

Or another, maybe I have not thought of..

Thanks..

Last edited:
what are the max clocks that CPU usually gets? getting another 200-300Mhz out of it likely isnt worth the price of a new motherboard.

With this cpu you wont make much more stable on other boards ( maybe 4GHz +/- 100MHz ). For OC great is CHV but way too expensive if it's "only" gaming pc. Almost the same is Sabertooth. On both don't count on RAID controller as ASUS cut some cache options and optimal seems only AHCI ( if you think about SSD ).
UD3/UD5 have issues with voltage so not best for oc. I didn't test ASRock/AMD boards so it's maybe worth to read some more about them as price should be lower and their latest Intel series are really good.

Want to move up because I am getting 2 SSD`s aswell, and also the board I am using only does SLI 8x 8x, doesnt like the memory at the factory OC of 1600 @ 1.65v, no USB 3.

Going Bulldozer if and when its viable too, once they get a good one out, so AM3+.

Thanks.

Back