• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spent the last 24 hrs banging my head against the wall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glockjs

I think I've narrowed it down do either the cpu or mobo. But I want to point at the mobo. This is the board in question: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4288#ov

Fresh build. The cpu was used from ebay from a reputable seller and claimed to be tested prior to ship.

When I boot the computer I get no video. I looks like its going through the boot progression but I get a black screen. After digging for a speaker I get a long beep followed by 2 beeps which points to GPU. I've tried 4 different GPU's that I know work. 2 different PSU's that I know work. Tried 3 different PCI slots. Tried re seating the cpu. 2 different sticks of ram that I know work in multiple configurations. Also tried praying to god....

Help :bang head

If you are trying AMD gfx cards then put them in 2nd pcie slot , reset BIOS and try to boot.
I don't think it's the CPU when you get beeps. Dead CPU = no beeps at all.
Memory has to be in the 1st slot ( like marked as 1st in the manual or on the PCB ) or it won't boot.
What CPU you got for this build ? If it's IB-E and board came with old BIOS then it won't work till you update BIOS.

Thing is I tried with an Nvidia card as well. First I tried the 7970 then 2 dif R9 280x and then a gtx 660. I did first try in the 2nd physical slot which is pcie x8 but then moved to the second pcie x16 because the first slot was blocked by the cooler. After the re seat I turned the cooler to get access to that first slot.

The ram I tried in every config that the manual listed.

The cpu is a E5-2643 equivalent. Like you said I dont think it's the cpu otherwise there wouldn't be a beep. The only prob is I don't have another 2011 to test and can't update bios without video x.O

This CPU should work without issues on both board revisions according GB site:
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-dow...4B4609958B3150E330&s=Socket 2011&cs=Intel X79
F4 is a BIOS from September so it should be already flashed but hard to say how long this board was waiting in the warehouse. Anyway this Xeon is SB-E based so should at least boot.
I don't really have any more ideas right now, except some compatibility/board issue.

This CPU should work without issues on both board revisions according GB site:
http://www.gigabyte.com/support-dow...4B4609958B3150E330&s=Socket 2011&cs=Intel X79
F4 is a BIOS from September so it should be already flashed but hard to say how long this board was waiting in the warehouse. Anyway this Xeon is SB-E based so should at least boot.
I don't really have any more ideas right now, except some compatibility/board issue.

Yeah this whole thing has been nothing but a headache. I didn't realize the heatsink was as big as it was...it either covers the first pcie x16 slot or like 6 ram slots the other way. The spacing on the pcie slots don't allow me to quadfire the r9 280x's because the cards are too big. On top of it all the damn thing won't boot lol.

If you reset your CMOS does it work until you restart your computer? if so set your time under BIOS.

don't know haven't got past the black screen part.

Back