• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spilled soda on my surge protector. How long should I leave it to dry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

I already wiped it down with a barely damp cloth to get rid of the stickiness. Have it resting upside down so any moisture drips out of the sockets.

I would take the cover off of it and flush the thing with distilled water. I would then put it in the oven for a few hours at 140F. That should promote drying but not be hot enough to melt plastic or harm electronic components.

Disposable... go buy another.

Putting it in an oven just makes me nervous.

This thing was $100. A power surge that fried our microwave and 2 TVs didn't fry the computer I had plugged into this protector. Not too keen on throwing it away.

Sugar can burn and it can stick contacts together. If you're keeping it I would use electrical contact cleaner that is labeled safe for plastics. It evaporates without residue quickly and doesn't leave any volatile oils behind.

Disposable... go buy another.

Putting it in an oven just makes me nervous.

I baked my phone's motherboard twice before I got around to buying a new phone. 140 is nothing. Baking an LG G3 is done for 10 minutes at 350-380 degrees.

So what do I do? Just submerge it in a tupperware bowl full of the stuff?

It comes in an aerosol can, and sprays at fairly high pressure. If you can't/don't want to take it apart to spray it, hold it upside down and spray up into it so it runs back out (carrying the contamination with it). The usual warnings about eye protection, etc. are in place.

Back