• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SPST switch help (case leds driving me crazy)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The common ground would work. Just use the ground from say the power LED. Connect it to the switch. Then connect the HD and power LED ground wires to the other side of the switch. Don't worry about connecting the LEDs ground wires to the motherboard. Both LEDs' positive leds would connect to their normal positions on the motherboard.

EDIT: The ground should usually be constant for both LEDs at the same time. The positive is the one that usually changes.

Axle

Don't connect the ground wires on the LEDs. I did that once to simplify wiring and ended up with LEDs that were constantly on. Apparently it's the ground that switches on and off, not the power.

See? That's what I'm tellin' ya. Since we don't know which it is, DPST's the easiest way to go. But if you *really* want to use the switch you already have, you can probably figure out with a multimeter/voltmeter what's going on. You'll have to have your computer running, open, and doing something that'll provide a lot of activity to your HDD--defrag, maybe. First, put the positive lead of your MM on the pin on the mobo where you attach the positive lead to the HDD LED. Then put the ground lead on your MM to any ground in your case. The metal casing of the PSU should work, as should any black wire on the PSU. If you get a steady voltage (I'd guess it'd be 3.3), then you know that the power is constant and that the ground changes. If the voltage fluctuates, then it's probably the other way around. If you want to make absolutely sure, switch it up and get some power from somewhere--I'd prolly use 5v off of a molex (red wire); I don't believe it'd be a problem to run more than 3.3v through it, though I'm not absolutely certain--and then run the ground lead on your MM to the ground pin for the HDD LED on your mobo. Then it's the other way around--if you get fluctuations, then it's power that controls the LED and not ground; if you get a steady voltage, it's the ground that changes. If you get fluctuations both ways, then either a) you've accidentally done something wrong, which is likely (not just you, I have a dickens of a time trying to get my MM to do what I want it to) or b) both power and ground flip on and off, which is very unlikely. In that case, either common power *or* common ground should work just fine. I'd use common ground, m'self, b'cause then you don't need to worry about resistors and whatnot.

Back