• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SS condensor cooled with dry ice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Epox4life

If I were to cool my vapochill LS's condensor with dry ice.
What kind of temps am I looking at on the evap?
What kind of effects would this have on the phase change system?
Is it safe?

You really shouldnt have its been bothering me ever since lol
But I did see someone do it with normal ice before.

I ducted some AC onto my Baker unit, ended up giving around 3-4° cooler evap temps. Only part I don't know about is what it did/does to pressures. I think I'd ask about that, I only tried it once.

unless its going to give me 20 degrees or more lower I wont bother.

Very bad idea. Boyles law, lowering temperature in a stated volume means lower pressure. That means lower low side pressure and colder temps. Putting dry ice on a single stage, will be quite bad since you may even freeze your refrigerant into a solid.
Do not risk playing with things like that.

NoL said:
Very bad idea. Boyles law, lowering temperature in a stated volume means lower pressure. That means lower low side pressure and colder temps. Putting dry ice on a single stage, will be quite bad since you may even freeze your refrigerant into a solid.
Do not risk playing with things like that.

Thats what I was just about to say. I dont know why people think lowering their condensing temperature will magically give lower temperatures at the evap. What it will do is give you lower pressures which might if anything raise your temperature due to a lesser split. Watercooling your condenser is the most cooling you really want to do on the condenser and that only if you need it, for instance if you are running r410 and need to keep your pressures in check.

Actually the watercooling of the condenser is more for load. Water has a higher capacity then air and a quicker transfer rate.

NoL said:
Actually the watercooling of the condenser is more for load. Water has a higher capacity then air and a quicker transfer rate.

Thats implied...

If your refrigerant to air condenser can not move the amount of heat you have and you need to move it to keep the pressures in check then you use water as yes it has more capacity and can move heat faster.

Back