• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD as an upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the advice, i'm gonna put a new post in the general hardware area and repost my new idea for a build while taking what I can from my old pc.

I think that without needing a new OS i'm down to $541

AMD phenom quad core
asus board (with pci-e 2.0 and ddr3)
8g 4x2 mushkin ram
Antec kuhler 620

reuse:
antec 550w psu
Seagate baracuda 500g sataII hdd
Windows 7 64-bit (with new disc)
case

at that price I can't help but rebuild and forgoe giving my old pc to someone unless they want to buy the missing parts.

So, you already have a Win7 key?

oh sorry I meant windows vista 64-bit disc, earlier post said my key will work on 32 or 64 bit

Well a gpu and ssd is $300 for a crucial 128g and 6870

A cpu would be another 100-130

64-bit OS would be another 100

Right there your lookin at 500 at which point might as well build a new PC since I was lookin at around 800 with using my old case and hdd.

Oh the OS is 32-bit on accident, when I ordered from newegg I *watched* the text that I clicked say 64-bit, on checkout it was a few bucks cheaper and I figured Score! but after install I realized it was 32 and contacted newegg but they said tough luck since it was opened.

I'm thinking the gpu and ssd would be a good upgrade for 300, anything over that and I might as well build a new pc.

I don't understand whats better about the core2 vs 820d? fsb and overall clock are the same and I thought cache was similar. Something about cores sharing cache or something? I don't know I haven't kept up since I built this.

Considering the mb is running warm I don't want to invest much into this pc esp since i'm planning on throwing my 2 80g drives back on and giving it to a friend or family member.

I'm starting school in a few months and won't have an income for the next year+ so saving money is important.

But then again I was playing lol at a friends house on his Asus gaming laptop and got a little upset over how fast it loaded and how quickly it repsonded. Not to mention he opened up the case of his desktop and instant jealousy kicked in. His gpu and psu alone are about $800 which is my entire budget. I don't know, I need to tamp down my desire for a snazzy computer and chug along with this one but i'm not sure if that'll happen. Honestly it plays any game I have very well as is. The only drawback is lol loading time, once everything is open it runs fine. Quicker response would be nice but not sure if it's worth it.

32bit key works for 64bit OS :)

I agree with others saying CPU and GPU upgrade. 820D is seriously holding you back. GPU as well. SSD is not a necessity and before hitting that price/performance mark I would wait till I ahd a better rig.

Now if your PC was already running maxed out on CPU (I mean max CPU for your current system not best CPU ever ;) ) and you had a half decent GPU, then an SSD would be the final piece.

But thats JMHO.

A 6870 and ssd are futureproof in my books

and YEAH I know my computer is old...... hence the whole........ upgrade? post? no need to rehash that, rather you could be helpfull like everyone else

oh and if you read the rest of my post I mentioned i'm a student with no income for at least a year, hence penny pinching and low budget, oh yeah and I mentioned my budget earlier

edit: also an nvidia 6000 series looks like it's compareble to what I have allready, after a quick look

No insult intended. I'm just saying a system that old isn't worth pouring a lot of money into when Core i5's are so inexpensive. With an SSD listed as an option it sounded like you have a few dollars to spend. Maximum PC has had several articles on $500 builds that were decent.

Here is a quick throw together if you feel you need to rebuild, refer to OP and this should handle what you want.

Mobo $105
Video $155
CPU $220
Memory $40

Reuse PSU, Case, HDD, OS, Optical Drive, and thats $520 pricing everything off of newegg brand new.

I ended up making a new build, I saw a micro center deal on facebook for $50 off a z77 board when buying a next gen I5 and couldn't wait any longer.

New system:
Intel I5 3570k 3.4ghz quad core 6mb cache
ASrock Z77 Extreme4 (came with dead lan port)
Ballistics 8gb ram 2x4gb (not sure on speed, guy said it was good to oc)
Antec Kuhler 620
Saphire 6780
Corsair 500w psu
Coolermaster case

reused:
Seagate baracuda 500g sata3/gbs hdd
Vista ult 64-bit (traded my 32-bit home to a friend)

So far it's been frustrating, I've been to buisy to mess with this pc for the most part and what little time I've had was spent with a network that would work for 10 seconds. Finally I'm getting the software side of things worked out but this vista 64-bit is kinda crap, I may need a new OS and soon.

The cpu clocks to 4ghz easy with low temps but I haven't done anything other then that. Inside of the case is all black, even the psu has black mesh over all the cables (go corsair!)

One great thing about not knowing every little detail about things before you buy them..... is the mystery button that you find on your case........ what does it do? must push it........... BING FRONT TURNS BLUE!! squeal like a school girl!

Back