• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD/HDD question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dizzy Strife

Registered
OK, so I've got my new rig together and I am trying to get everything set up. I am using my SSD for my OS, browsers and like a game or two. My question is, is there anything special I need to do to set my HDD up so that any programs I install onto it will work?

Some people say that the alignment ( i think) needs to be set but ive not had any probs with mine.

Which o/s are you using?

Oh wait, you want to set your install directory to the hdd by default?

To change the registry, follow these steps assuming your storage drive is D:

1. Start Registry Editor by entering “Regedit” in the search All programs.
2. Locate the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
3. Right click on the value named ProgramFilesDir & change the default value C:\Program Files to the path you want to install all your programs in. "D:\program files" without the quotes.

If you are using a 64bit o/s then change the entry below it to
"d:\program files (x86)" without the quotes

4. Click OK and Exit.

Oh wait, you want to set your install directory to the hdd by default?

To change the registry, follow these steps assuming your storage drive is D:

1. Start Registry Editor by entering “Regedit” in the search All programs.
2. Locate the following:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
3. Right click on the value named ProgramFilesDir & change the default value C:\Program Files to the path you want to install all your programs in. "D:\program files" without the quotes.

If you are using a 64bit o/s then change the entry below it to
"d:\program files (x86)" without the quotes

4. Click OK and Exit.

I guess that is what I am trying to do. I just want the OS, browsers and like one or two games on the SSD. All other games and programs, I want to install on the HDD

Install windows to the ssd, then edit the reg once all updates and drivers have been installed.

Back