• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD issues once again. Looking for help/advice on what to do.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zonnza

Once again, I have had yet another bad experience with my SSD's.
I have 2 OCZ Vertex Turbo's and they have given me many issues over the years. A few months ago, I want to say around late March, I solved an issue I was having and was back in business with my computer.
Today in the morning, I was able to boot up my computer fine, but after leaving for classes at 830am and returning around 4pm, I realized my computer did not turn on anymore. The OS SSD was not detected and I tryed to do a few of the "fixes" I have attempted in the past. Nothing worked.

So now Im about to make a big decision and I want some advice on how I should go about it.

I need to get my computer back up and running by thursday morning. I came up with a few ideas on what I may do:
I have a 320gb HDD that was being used as a backup drive that I was not really using atm.
Also have the 2 SSDs, the OS one is not being detected and the other one is fine and I can use it.
I need to use one of these 3 for a temporary OS install while I get new drives.

The part that I want to get some help/advice on is my decision on what to do next:

I plan to buy a 750gb or a 1TB WD caviar black HDD to replace the 320gb backup drive. I would change my current 750gb data drive into the backup and move all data from it as a copy onto the new 750 or 1TB drive. This is why I am considering on using the 320gb as a OS drive.

I need to also decide on this, The big decision. Give up on SSDs and go back to HDD OS drives or take another chance and go with a new SSD (looking into an Intel SSD since I have given up on OCZ as a whole).

I want reliability! I hate having to constantly go into a OS corruption and have to reinstall every couple months or less. My brother has been on his HDD for years now. I only had 1 HDD issue ever and it was because I was an idiot and defraged a drive that I had never defraged before and it was many years old.

Is it worth it to go back to HDDs and let SSDs progress more or should I give SSDs another chance and get an Intel drive? (was looking at the 510 but i hear issues with it)

On a side note: I seen and heard so many issues with OCZ SSDs that I am VERY hesitant to even consider buying an SSD from them before, along with my OCZ SSDs giving me SO MANY issues.

Anyways, Long rant and I hope you guys can hopefully give me some good advice so I can make a decision that I will not regret.

Any word on how the Intel 510 drive is like? I would have to use it with my Sata II's atm but I do plan to upgrade in the nearish future to a better mobo.

I havn't done much, if any, recent research on SSD producers other then OCZ and Intel.

Lastly... I guess I need to look into myself but is it true that 1TB HDDs have much higher failure rates then 750gb drives or am I going off old false information?

Intel 320, 510 and Crucial M4 are not based on the Sandforce controller so you should be fine with those. Go for the faster SSD, then when you upgrade it'll be ready to go.

Regardless of which SSD you choose. Do some research before pulling the trigger.

HDD failure rates are all over the map. Lots of rumors but very few facts. Personally, I've been fortunate as I've have very little experience with HDD failure. I got 4 2-TB, 3 1-TB and numerous drives below 500 GB. Haven't experience a problem with any of them. Mind you I don't abuse the drives and keep them cool and well ventilated. Some people love Seagate, some WD, others swears by Hitachi while most really like Samsung. So take your pick.

With the new firmware update the M4 is the king of the hill now. With regards to stability it is ace, and with regards to speed it is fast as hell regardless of the compressibility of data. it is the real deal right now! (did i mention its relatively cheap?)

Intel 320 is on older controller and it's SATA2. Intel 510 are on new Marvell so will perform almost like Crucial M4 but cost much more. There should be new Samsung SSD with transfers ~500MB/s but we still have to wait a bit.
After problems with all new SF series, SATA3 controllers etc, better will be to wait for some tests than jump into new problems with new models. If you noticed, there are compatibility issues with most new SSD no matter what brand/controller. What matters is how producers react on these problems and in this case Crucial solved almost all compatibility issues ( except some problems with macs but it's more apple fault and who really cares about apple anyway :p ) and also gave us nice bonus with last firmware. Now you can count sequential read transfers at about 530-550MB/s for all M4 series.

I like the reviews on the M4. Now I need to decide between M4 and the Intel 510. I dont mind the cost difference, just want something that will not disappoint me like OCZ has.

Also, what is the difference between the transfer kit M4 and the one without it?

The M4 with its new Firmware looks to be a winner. The Intel may be reliable which they achieved by slowing down their SSDs slightly to achieve compatibility. Don't ask me for the source on this.

Back