• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD Reliability...is it better than HDD? (Answers!?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did end up putting all my programs on a SSD, but not an M.2 and not even a particularly fast one because 4 TiB SSDs are still expensive. I also use primocache and a 2 TiB M.2 Skhynix P31 Gold to cache my old spinner and now for my 4 TiB Samsung QVO. Once a game/program is cached there's no noticeable difference in loading speed between my dead spinner and the Samsung QVO.

HDDs nowadays are almost only for backup as GB/$ is still much lower. SSDs are cheap enough to use them for everything else ... and are getting cheaper.

I moved to SSDs only in my daily use systems. My main has about 4TB spread over several smaller ones I collected over the years. My laptop and a test system each has two 1TB drives. My temporary quad core test system has a 1TB SATA.

If I were buying a SSD for general use I think 2TB is very affordable, with door open on 4TB if you need bigger storage. HDs might offer bigger storage still, but I'd only use it for bulk. I still run two NAS. One has 4x3TB HDs, the other has 4x8TB + 1x6TB HDs, with one disk each used as redundancy. I dump content I don't need to access daily on there. Old videos, photos, and a never shrinking pile of "unsorted" folders.

Back