• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

started the painting.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

four4875

well yesterday before goin out to eat with the family, i got a couple coats of primer on my case. i need to wet sand some and attack it some more with the can. i need to be sure to get the back part like, where it screws in. anyone have any tips for good wet sanding procedures? i already have read that sticky up there in the alternative modding section.... a few times actually. but hopefully i'll get a good base for the paint when it comes to that time. i love the color im gonna use, and it seems to go onto anything good. (i've done both plastic and metal with it) it also gets a nice finish straight from the can (but not miror. i'll fix that :)

hopefully i wont turn this into a catrastophy (is that spelled right? lol)

Wet sanding advice . . . Keep your paper wet and clean. Same w/ the case. If you hear a loud squeak, stop, rinse off your paper, rinse off the case, then continue. That's a piece of grit that's gotten logged in the paper.

Use warm, soapy water (dishsoap works best, I find), and rinse it off when you're finished w/ cold water.

Don't press too hard; let the paper do the work for you. Take your time, too. It won't be done in five minutes. It'll pro'lly take you an hour or so to do the sidepan correctly. Get a nice block to work with, too.

You can also start w/ about 800 wet, then move up to 1000 or so.

I'm tapped. :)

oh, so you mean i cant used the warped one i got from the dollar store? (sanding block... lol)

i planned on sitting in the garage for like 5 hours straight (2 for each side, 1 for top) too bad theres too dern many rivets in the bottom panel for me to drill out, otherwise i'd paint that, too. but i still need to go and get the friggin paper. all of the paper i had got tossed when mom cleaned the garage.. :'( so that'll be tomorrow.

correct spelling:
catastrophe

be sure to post pics...I'm interested in how this turns out...

Jon

Wetsanding a car, you take a garden hose and poke holes in it. Constant water flow is always nice to take the edge off of the wetsanding. Not flooding the area, mind you... but a nice trickle does wonders.

BlueWraith said:
Wetsanding a car, you take a garden hose and poke holes in it. Constant water flow is always nice to take the edge off of the wetsanding. Not flooding the area, mind you... but a nice trickle does wonders.
Yup, pretty much what he said. Although I never saw the poking holes in the hose... interesting idea though, might have to give that a shot next time I do some body work.

The idea is right on none-the-less. The steady water flow helps tons, helps keep out the grit and the paint your sanding off, keeping it clean. Just take your time and keep the block flat to the surface and you'll be all good.

After recently finshing painting my case, i have found some ways to make painting easier and fun . I have compiled these few tips for the nub painter. First, do NOT leave your case panels in the garage over-night as the humidity in the air will make the paint wrinkle or at the very least, add dust to the surface. Secondly, ALWAYS paint around 12 inches away from the surface so u wont have some pools of paint (very unprofessional looking and downright ugly). Third, a clear coat is ONLY after u have used the rubbing compound and it will protect the paint from scratches and wat not. If u get rubbing compound, just grab some 600 and move up to 1500 grit sandpaper then take out that cotton cloth and rub away. Fourth, always allow around 24 hrs to dry between coats, especially if you are using an enamel paint like rustoleum, but isnt that necessary if u are using a lacquer like plastikote. Fifth, it is SO important to sand and make the surface as smooth and flat as possible so the paint dries evenly. I learned this the hard way by having my first paint job to be uneven and have some parts that look blotchy.
________
oxygen vaporizer

Last edited:
Back