• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting a new water rig (n00b I am)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

frank anderson

Registered
Hello fellow overclockers and water cooling fanatics..
:grouphug:

This is my 1st custom cooling setup, my previous setups consisted of a Zalman Reserator v2 (cpu block on a P4, north bridge block on nforce 4, and 2x GPU blocks on 7800XT SLI or something) and most recent (H70 and 2x Coolit Omni ALC on 580 SLI)... all of which are pretty much "ready out of the box"..

I've done a lot of reading here and there over the past year, mostly during office hours, but don't tell my boss that.. :santa:

OK here goes, this is my plan, please let me know if it will work.. I think it's a good start to get my feet wet.. Here is my spec for reference..

System Specs:
i5 2500K
Corsair H70
Gigabyte P67 UD7 B3
Corsair Dominator GT 2133 C9 (w/ fan and LED indicator)
Gigabyte 580 GTX (reference board)
MSI 580 GTX (reference board)
Silverstone 1200w Strider Gold
1x SSD (os) 2x Velociraptors (games) 2x WD Blacks (storage)
2x 30cm Sunbeam Blue Cold Cathode
1x 10cm Sunbeam Red Cold Cathode
Mouse, Keyboard, Game Pad, etc, etc..
and most importantly, my case is a CM HAF X that I will be stuffing all this stuff into :santa2:...

The parts I plan to order: linked for reference..
Koolance VID-NX580 GPU Block x2
Koolance HX-CU1020VS 120mmx3 20FPI Radiator
Koolance RP-452x2 Reservoir
Swiftech MPC655 Pumps x2
Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT Clear 1/2in ID 3/4in OD Tubings
Primochill 3/4 Anti Kink Tube Coils
Going to use a combination of:
Bitspower Straight Barbs
Bitspower 45 degree barbs
Bitspower 90 degree barbs
Koolance Highflow quick disconnects
Primochill steelworm drive hose clamps

Silver Coil = I think I can get something from my local jeweler that I can bend around a pencil or something..
PT Nuke = I might not be able to get this where I am from, any other alternatives?
Distilled Water
Cooler Master XtraFlo x3 (I already have these so going to give them a try first before replacing..)

Anything else I am missing? I have included a diagram below of my build off the top of my head..

Thanks Advance :p

watercool.jpg

Last edited:
FYI - that reservoir is a PITA to bleed.

I keep recommending 3/8 ID & 5/8 OD tubing, it's better ;)

Also you can pick up worm drives much cheaper at a hardware store. Its not a significant amount but every penny saved is more money for future upgrades :)

MIAHALLEN: hmm Thanks, I'll keep that in mind..

What do you think of this rad http://www.linkecomputer.com/products/1010189/MCR320-QP-K/Swiftech/

>> Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded

Limited selection where I am from (HK), I read on your other thread you are in JP, I'm actually going to Kakogawa tomorrow for a buisness trip, next to Osaka :clap:... I have a hard time ordering WC gear here as it's not really a popular thing in HK, there's a lot of no-name brand made in *cough* crap, but I won't risk it with my gear, shipping and handling is another factor which can bump up the price by quite a bit also if I order from overseas (US, UK, Etc)..

Daemonkin: Hey Thanks, picked up some at the hardware store, now I just have to wait for the rest of the parts to start shipping.. :D

Last edited:
Back