• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting OC on FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The NB voltage is 1.175. I went back to 4.4 but haven't run more than 30 to 40 mins of prime. I dropped the vcore where I had it when it was running at 4.4.I think the vcore is at 1.428. The next setting on LLC is extreme. That may be too much.

- - - Updated - - -

You're welcome.
Let me know how it goes!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I put it back to 4.4. I'll run it when I get home to see how it does.

It's all about the target voltage, and whether it's stable voltage. Let's try setting llc to extreme, then say our target voltage is 1.428 @ 4.4gHz. That means we don't want the vCore to drop below 1.428 if we can help it. You said you had it set to extreme and it shot up to 1.48 under load, what was it set too? Let's try setting CPU voltage to 1.38 and see what it hits under load. Adjust it up or down until your steady at 1.428 under load.

Now for CPU_NB voltage, with "high" speed ram bumping it up can be beneficial. You can probably set that up to 1.3v without a noticeable increase to temps. You can work it back down later, but for now give it plenty of juice just to make sure it's not a limiting factor.

It's all about the target voltage, and whether it's stable voltage. Let's try setting llc to extreme, then say our target voltage is 1.428 @ 4.4gHz. That means we don't want the vCore to drop below 1.428 if we can help it. You said you had it set to extreme and it shot up to 1.48 under load, what was it set too? Let's try setting CPU voltage to 1.38 and see what it hits under load. Adjust it up or down until your steady at 1.428 under load.

Now for CPU_NB voltage, with "high" speed ram bumping it up can be beneficial. You can probably set that up to 1.3v without a noticeable increase to temps. You can work it back down later, but for now give it plenty of juice just to make sure it's not a limiting factor.

I set the LLC to extreme and played with the vcore. I had the vcore at full load 1.428 to 1.440. This was with 4.5 gig. Temps went to around 55C and after about 15 min on prime core 4 dropped out. I don't think it's going to be stable at 4.5. I tried to run the vcore with load at 1.440 to 1.452 and the temp went to around 57C. I set the cpu nb voltage to 1.2

Set cpu_nb to 1.3 and see if you're stable at 4.4gHz with the vcore @ 1.428 under load and llc @ extreme post a pic after 20 minutes and see if it's prime stable past 2 hours.

Capture.PNG
Here's the pics at 4.4 gig. You can see the temp maxed at 56C. This is 40 min prime blend with CPU NB voltage at 1.2. I had this running before I saw your post. Stable so far.

Run it at least 2 hours so you have a known stable Oc. I find it makes pushing further a lot easier, when one has a fall back oc, especially when trying to see how far you can take it.

Run it at least 2 hours so you have a known stable Oc. I find it makes pushing further a lot easier, when one has a fall back oc, especially when trying to see how far you can take it.

Ran for 2 hours. Everything fine. All cores stable at 4.4 gig. Refer to my previous post for the pics.

Ok good, temps look good but not sure if you have enough headroom for 4.5 Ghz. I'm not liking the V Droop you're getting but if it passed then no reason to work on it unless you start having stability issues. Where is the Nb Frequency set?

Ok good, temps look good but not sure if you have enough headroom for 4.5 Ghz. I'm not liking the V Droop you're getting but if it passed then no reason to work on it unless you start having stability issues. Where is the Nb Frequency set?

If you're refering to the min value in his screenshot, his llc is set to extreme. Sooooo..... NB frequency is still at 2000 I believe.

Ok good, temps look good but not sure if you have enough headroom for 4.5 Ghz. I'm not liking the V Droop you're getting but if it passed then no reason to work on it unless you start having stability issues. Where is the Nb Frequency set?[/QUOTE

I have the Vcore set to 1.3500 in the BIOS and LLC to extreme that why you see the low vcore. It goes up when loaded. If i set the vcore to 1.3625, the vcore goes to 1.428 to 1.440 and temp hits a high of 57C. I can bring the vcore up in the BIOS and go back to an LLC of medium. I have the NB freq at stock which is 2000. Can it be raised to help performance? The CPU NB is set at 1.200 v.

I have the Vcore set to 1.3500 in the BIOS and LLC to extreme that why you see the low vcore. It goes up when loaded. If i set the vcore to 1.3625, the vcore goes to 1.428 to 1.440 and temp hits a high of 57C. I can bring the vcore up in the BIOS and go back to an LLC of medium. I have the NB freq at stock which is 2000. Can it be raised to help performance? The CPU NB is set at 1.200 v.
Ok got ya, I personally do not like to have big swings in voltage like that. I'd rater have my voltage set a bit higher and have the LLC keep the voltage close to where it is set. Nothing wrong with how you have it set but if you find that you have an issue with instability you may be better off setting the Cpu voltage higher and dropping the LLC down a bit. What you're doing now is setting a voltage in the motherboard and relying on the LLC to give the Cpu enough voltage to maintain the Oc. Again, if you don't have any issues with instability then it's fine where it is.

As far as the Nb Frequency yes raising it can give you a little boost in performance. Though you will really only notice it if you're benching the rig or doing some long computations or rendering videos. If you do decide to try upping it, you may need to raise the Cpu Nb voltage some more.

^^^Do this right here. It may buy you a few more degrees headroom. Don't rely on LLC for your voltage increases, do those yourself. You just want LLC to keep it where you set it. No droop, no or not much increase.

Extreme llc was my bad idea. Just wanted to see if voltage would fluctuate less under load, and apparently he doesn't have a setting in between medium and extreme.

Hey guys I'm back. I appreciate all the help so far. DNRDustin, don't worry about it. Here's the settings for LLC on this board. Starting at at auto and using the + key.
auto>normal>extreme>medium>low. I tried normal. No go. Right now I have the vcore set at 1.4375 and LLC at medium. I'm running prime95 at this time. I have noticed by using these settings, my temps are slightly lower. The vcore is running at a low of 1.416 and a high of 1.440 and mainly runs at 1.428 which is what we trying to shot for if I remember correctly. Right now prime has ran about 10 min. I'll post pics after about 30 min run. Right now high temp has been 54C.
The little time I have used this Gigabyte board, I like it now that I'm getting used to it. I was used to my old Asus board. Too bad it wouldn't run this chip.
Mr. Scott, have you tested the 980BE yet?

Nice. You're in a good spot right now. Maybe a little FSB bump or two if it passes.

980 being set up now. Probably won't see the chiller till tomorrow.

Capture.PNG

Here's the run after about 45min. The vcore does go down to 1.404 on heavy loads. I'm running prime and surfing at the same time. I may bump the vcore one more notch. Mr. Scott, how much would suggest bumping the FSB?
Would I need to mess with the ram settings. I'm running 1866 on the ram. Anything on the PCI bus?

Capture1.PNG Capture.PNG

I have ran about 1 hr and 45 min. All still fine. I haven't changed anything yet. Still same vcore and FSB. I was going to bump the vcore one more even before you suggested. Here's what you asked for.

Last edited:
Everything looks good. Do as Mr Scott said, up your fsb to 205 and add one click of vcore. Make sure your ram timings are set manually. 9-10-9-28-37-1t(2t may work IDK). I'd just go straight to 1.65v on the ram. Keep your htlink at or under 2600, but try to get your nb frequency up around 2400 and set CPU_nb to 1.3v.

Back