• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting of my farm :P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

peperonikiller

Registered
Just got my 5th computer at work set up, now to go home and set up my 2 main PC's ;)

Out of the 5 at work, 3 are P4's :/
a server with one Xeon's
a server with two Xeon's
and at home Ive got a P4 and then the one in my sig..

Will I be able to rack up some points quite fast you think? or due to just having a bunch of P4's im really not gunna fly :bang head

I do have like 7 more P4 machines that just need hard drives to get goin

th_SNC00013-2.jpg

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/hosts_user.php?userid=9080147

Last edited:
:welcome: to OC*SETI!

I can't speak for the returns on the Pentiums but I do, sorta', know AMDs. Your 4000+ (I'm assuming it's a single core) will have an RAC of 5-600. The Phenom II should run ~3000 or so at least, depending on actual speed and how much you run other things
on it. My 940BE @ 3.5 GHz is crucnhing ~4500 RAC ... :)

Yep the 4000+ is single core, and my Phenom usually sits Idle around 20 hours out of the whole day, I'm just getting the "No work available to process" right now

Yep the 4000+ is single core, and my Phenom usually sits Idle around 20 hours out of the whole day, I'm just getting the "No work available to process" right now

Yeah, Tuesday is update day, so its usually a bad day to add new hardware. It'll catch up tomorrow or Thursday.
Back when I ran a P4 rig, it would run 350-400 rac depending on the work units I got for it. A lot has changed since then, but my best guess would still be around that mark.

It seems the new outage schedule is now longer than just Tuesday. Give it a week, and your new hardware should start picking up something.

I posted my last reply before I found out about the new schedule. Your new rigs should start getting work today though, mine caught up this morning.

Yea, they all started getting some WU's a few hours ago. Which means the office is about to go up 20 degrees lol

Well, I've made it to position 60 in the OC Team lol. My main rig has a hard time finding work now with the 20 Job limit :/

I do have like 7 more P4 machines that just need hard drives to get goin

Farming can use a multitude of seeds ........

Got Linux? IF you're GOOD with Linux and networking, its likely you can boot those 7 harddrive less machines over a network (old school yatta farm KGO). OR ... grab some CHEAP 1 or 2 gig usb flash drives (under $10 each now), install linux onto them, and boot and run your 7 P4 machines off cheap linux based usb flash drives. Run setiathome from linux, and rack up some more WU credits.

This site has a bunch of tutorials on how to put many different distributions onto a bootable usb flash drive.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

The more comps you get up and running, the more WUs you get, SWEET!

Hey, do ANY of those comps have a PCIE slot? And how much money do you want to donate to Seti? :)

$50 in usb drives = 7 more P4s, maybe 3500 more WU ?? (guessing from responses in this thread of 500 wu per P4 ? ). OR .. if any have a PCIe slot .... $90 for a used 9800GT = 3000 ?? WU (from cuda thread)

A P4 with a pcie slot free can be made into a massive cruncher with a cuda processor for pretty cheap these days.

OHHHHH a farming we will goooo, a FARMING we will gooo, Hi Ho the merryo a farming we will goooo. :)

haha yea, well, some do have PCIE So i'll have to look around and see what I find, I did get a Quadro NVS 440 free that i had to do the oven trick on to fix.. sadly it does not have CUDA :/ and until the day they start supporting ATI cards its prolly just gunna be what I have set up now.

haha yea, well, some do have PCIE So i'll have to look around and see what I find, I did get a Quadro NVS 440 free that i had to do the oven trick on to fix.. sadly it does not have CUDA :/ and until the day they start supporting ATI cards its prolly just gunna be what I have set up now.

Often ONE cuda card can crunch more WU than a couple P4's. Even a used 8800 from the overclockers for sale forum.

Just trying to find cheaper alternatives than buying used hard drives to get your current, turned off gear, turned on and crunching. :) $60 for a usb drive + used 8800 would give WAY many more WU than just a used $25 hard drive. ONE cuda card often also takes up less space than 2 P4s, which sometimes makes a difference, sometimes space is at a premium with YATTA farms. :)

Back