• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Static Discharge and New PC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

42YottabyteSim

Registered
Hi everyone,

First time PC builder, getting my final parts tomorrow.

For building a new PC, I will be working on a wooden kitchen table on a tile kitchen floor.

My question is this:

I plan on opening on all the boxes for parts and emptying them onto the wooden kitchen table (which has metal supports), then assembling on same table.

I bought 1 static discharge wristband, which I plan on connecting from my wrist to a metal part in my desktop case.

I then plan on opening all the boxes, piece by piece, assembling there. Also, I will be working standing barefoot on the tile.

Does anyone here foresee any issues with this plan of assembly? Will this be a sufficient strategy for assembling and grounding.

Any words of advice to ensure I am going the safest route?

Last edited:
You'll be fine.
You're doing overkill on the protection, not that it's a bad practice.
I don't do any of that. As long as you're not shuffling around on carpet or working on a bed/blanket/etc. you'll never have a problem. GL with your build. :)

bob, sounds like the s&m puppy.....

as far as the build, you're spot on for protecting your gear.
two things i like to have around are a strong flashlight and a magnet on a stick.
just drag out the manual, follow it page by page, taking all the time you need, if you are stuck, stop, ask us questions and we all will give the best we can.

71pPVWdO0jL._SL1000_.jpg

vs

Intelligent-alarming-device-ESD-tools-anti-static-heel-strap-ankle-strap-BK4852.jpg

Not sure what the difficult concept here is... is there some inside joke or reference Im missing? o_O

Not sure what the difficult concept here is... is there some inside joke or reference Im missing? o_O
Bob, you didn't miss a thing. I honestly had no Idea something like existed... at least for non commercial applications anyway. :)

Edit: it's a great idea to keep your hands free. Never even thought about it and got a good laugh at the thought picturing it. Please don't be offended at my laughter..it was not meant in any way to put the post down. :clap:

Bob, you didn't miss a thing. I honestly had no Idea something like existed... at least for non commercial applications anyway. :)

Edit: it's a great idea to keep your hands free. Never even thought about it and got a good laugh at the thought picturing it. Please don't be offended at my laughter..it was not meant in any way to put the post down. :clap:

Nah man, I just felt like there was some joke or reference I was missing around here lol. I've always thought it was common sense, you dont even need a "Special" one, just slap the normal ones around your ankle. First time I was using one, I wound up throwing it across the room because it just kept getting in the way lol. No offense taken, just confusion dude.

bob......... come with us..... we know the way.........(learn to be a gutter snipe).

all that aside, that's the way you do it, ground it.

- - - Updated - - -

for a flashlight i use these, they are small and very bright>>>>>> https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=38&cid=16
small enough to hold in your teeth or lay it in the case.

Holding a flahslight in your teeth may not gain approval from your dentist. A better approach is to get a head band light. They make some pretty bright ones these days and that pivot up and down for changing the angle as necessary. This one is only $6.70 at Amazon.

headband light.PNG

I have a head lamp and a small flashlight...I still choose to use the small flashlight between the teeth. With the head lamp, I found myself contorting my head in all different directions to get the light correct...kind of like when I have my driving glasses on and I have to "look under" them to check my phone or access the touch screens in my car (yeah...it sucks getting old).

Bob - I totally understand the heel straps. Most of my employees prefer using them (we have an ESD floor). The only issue I would see (other than the S&M reference - hehe) is forgetting you are clipped in and hurting yourself!

For me, I am like Mr. Scott...I don't use an ESD strap, but I do make sure that I am "grounded" to the case before touching anything...by simply touching the case. I also stand on a mat, and don't handle anything "bare electronic" if I am on carpet.

Once you have the electronic device connected into the case/motherboard, ESD becomes less of an issue. Remember, ESD damage is caused by the RAPID discharge of voltage from point A to point B. Once things are in the case, mounted to the motherboard, etc., a RAPID discharge becomes much more difficult.

The most effort I make is to not shuffle my socked feet across the carpet... :rofl:

I do always touch the case to normalize the charge (case isn't grounded until its plugged in, right?!). before I put parts in it/on the bench.

I rebuilt my laptop and did my last four desktop rebuilds sitting in the middle of a carpeted floor...

Some people make a big deal about static discharge
I've done a bunch of installs and upgrades ect... on carpeting and never had a problem

I think this was because of the old computer parts were very susceptible to static, as long as you are not rolling around the floor or rubbing parts on the floor it should be fine
those static wrist straps are just a waste of money as far as I am concerned

what's a static? i remember someone mentioning it one time after i was benching on a live stream and was scrubbing a cpu around in a cotton towel, and what are those fancy stretchy key wrings with the wrist straps? where can i buy them?

Back